Bow rails and cleat removal?

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was checking this out.Want to remove these rails and cleats but it looks like they are rivited on.Just wanted to make it easier for the painter but if its to difficult i think i will just have to tape them up.

IMG'

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bow rails and cleat removal?

I will fix your picture for you.
This is Fish n Geer's picture!

Backatit111807010.jpg

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Tape them off would be the best bet. You could drill the heads of the rivets off, they should be 3/16th rivets no shorter then 1/2" maybe. Drilling them would mean you'll risk making the hole bigger when you want to reuse the same holes. I have replaced rivets after drilling the head off and had no problems, the key is don't drill completely through the rivet. If you happen to drill completely through doesn't mean that you mess up the hole but it is possible lets put it that way. Take drill the head off then use a punch and hammer to knock the wrest of the rivet out making sure you don't apply to much force hitting it with the hammer don't get to swing happy.

salty87

Commander

i'd just tape em but only to avoid having the rails turn into their own project.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty much what i assumed would be the case.Just never hurts to get advice or opinions.Got enough to do on her as it is.

And thanks Bassbuoy! I knew how just was practicing doing a non clickable link tip! Appreciate it Spinner!

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled the ones on my tri-hull when painting. What a pain! I didn't stop to think what it would be like to put them back on. The ones farthest forward I ended up pulling the bow light, cutting a hole under it big enough for my daughter to get her hand through and that barely worked...

Tape them off and paint around 'em.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

...Gear, If you can get to the backside of the rivets, you can install backing washers, when you reinstall the rails and cleats. If so, you might like to remove the rails and cleats to make it easier for the painter.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I imagine it could be done.Right now its all packed with foam other than a bit i had to get out to get the old carpet out.They foamed it after the carpet was laid.Thus creating quite a job removing the old foam and the fact it is deep and narrow up in there to the top.I think i will just tape em up.I will also run it by the painter see what he says though.