Bow Eye Replacement

bayonnebandit

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All. It’s been a while since I have been on here. Want to report that the LegaSea is still alive and well although it has gone through some repairs/modifications throughout the years. Anyway, my current dilemma is that my bow eye is wearing pretty badly. I know how to replace it as I drilled the rivets and bolted it a number of years ago but the problem is I don’t know where to get one of similar shape. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about a picture without all the stuff in the way?

If the wear is under the winch hook, flip the eye or have a welder skilled in aluminum welding fill it in. If you get it welded, flipping is still a good idea.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The AL bow eyes were a bad idea as the eye gets mauled by the steel hook and the riveting them on was the second problem.

I went with 3/8" stainless steel bow eyes with a nice sealed up ply stack backer with 5200. I couldn't find the pic for my SS but here's my SN that had the exact same eye. I filled the holes with Marine Tex and moved the bow eye a bit lower due to the old holes.

y4m9BTPkm_IZvZgGaGLdZoyDVhA0_NPnvlmmQ12qCs4s8HbVIasIwHEo6hoCxqE50_boBZO-qdJYm3OM_r_nKjUIjkTPVqtqShAtnpSuDWckpZNOpxFc2OIjfYyVQ9mWRuqayE8w4oxvZpaIAj-6NItPP0H03juCA9F5EigIjG0CZBZKetIlz6dFrGPGJS-p6eokztq5GmZCb3m5WwcA0Uuow

The SS has the SS bow eye rather than the AL one, they look nice and simple but much stronger.
y4muaxzzjETYO-J-CNU4ih4DXpbmkzras0tnzx2CY9tpkofiysl7KMPpohp5JxUL1bTqjLErg8HXbkOVikzBVM1ArNiUipwOTLpvsQOUDeC936fcbWyk9g2auu2aLWBKkIoKhER0dWzMv98NRwD_JYqxEpx7LQJfEhTpbAOsprVV3uyRSjEunxRmrfl_YpVIJuP3-Fg54ghQxkOA2CVYWuUQQ

bayonnebandit

Seaman Apprentice
Wow never thought about flipping it. That sounds like a good idea but I am still worried about it snapping and sending the winch buckle flying at my head. Do you think the welding will help hold it together?
If that doesn’t work I will go the stainless steel eye route. I know them because I redid the rear towing ones when I did the transom. Just kinda like the looks of this one. Matches the boat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's why I suggested a skilled welder. You should end up with a strong and cosmetically good looking eye. Flipping changes where the strain is.

If you don't feel comfortable, use WM's stainless eye idea. I would be OK with either way.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you replace it with a stainless bow eye and use good quality stainless hardware, you will never need to think about it again.
if you have welded, wether you flip it or not, a few years from now you will be addressing this issue all over again.

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would not hesitate to have that welded.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would fabricate a new one.-----1/4" stainless V with 3/8" stainless for 2 eyes.----I would not trust an aluminum one as it was made.------Less so a welded one.------Boat ( fiberglass ) that I am doing now has 2 stainless eyes.----Both anchored with composite material.-----Replaces the old one that was anchored in rotten wood !!

Last edited: