Bought this boat from Auction need help!

Zack Of All Trades

Seaman Apprentice
Purchased this mastercraft/cajun boat from auction, any recommendations on what I should do to it? I also want to know how to fix the handrail

Attachments

• 20210919_161740.jpg
    20210919_161740.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210919_161817.jpg
    20210919_161817.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 20210919_162124.jpg
    20210919_162124.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210919_162130.jpg
    20210919_162130.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 39

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well for starters I would try and get the motor running .. Check compression ,the normal stuff , spark ,ect ...
The boat needs the structure inspected .. Wet foam? Deck ,stringers ,transom ...Title ?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Title/registration should be first thing - if you haven't already done so. No sense working a boat/trailer if you can't legally register it.

And @sphelps is right... worry about making sure the structure and motor are sound before worrying about cosmetics.

Zack Of All Trades

Seaman Apprentice
Boat has title, registered, and I made the motor work fixed hydraulics. Mechanically the boat is very sound. Any structural modifications you guys recommend?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Good luck flipping boats for profit... even in the current market, it's not easy. By the time you buy seats, hand rails (if you can find them), etc., you will not have much room to make money.

Zack Of All Trades

Seaman Apprentice
Good luck flipping boats for profit... even in the current market, it's not easy. By the time you buy seats, hand rails (if you can find them), etc., you will not have much room to make money.
seat was like $60, handrails seem to be 100 i spent 150 already on hydraulics and 80 on starter motor. all in i'm $1000 into it how much would it be worth if I held on to it till summer ? we have a pretty good boating area here in DC.

briangcc

Commander
Generally speaking, spring time is better to sell. People have been cooped up in a house all winter long and are looking for some warm weather activities. Couple that with a possible tax return and they have income burning a hole in their pocket.

The one knock on the boat, for me anyways, is the motor. I hate, and I do mean HATE, Force outboards with a passion. I had one on my Bayliner in my signature - didn't last a year before I repowered. To me, that is a major turn off. Other people here will swear by them.

Covid turned the boat market on its head, Project boats that could be had for $1k are commanding $3-4k in my neck of the woods. The unknown is what next spring will look like....is the pandemic still raging driving markets further silly or has it finally subsided and prices return to somewhat reasonable levels? In theory could you turn a profit? Maybe, maybe not. Most don't look at boats as an investment - this isn't like owning a classic car.

Zack Of All Trades

Seaman Apprentice
Generally speaking, spring time is better to sell. People have been cooped up in a house all winter long and are looking for some warm weather activities. Couple that with a possible tax return and they have income burning a hole in their pocket.

The one knock on the boat, for me anyways, is the motor. I hate, and I do mean HATE, Force outboards with a passion. I had one on my Bayliner in my signature - didn't last a year before I repowered. To me, that is a major turn off. Other people here will swear by them.

Covid turned the boat market on its head, Project boats that could be had for $1k are commanding $3-4k in my neck of the woods. The unknown is what next spring will look like....is the pandemic still raging driving markets further silly or has it finally subsided and prices return to somewhat reasonable levels? In theory could you turn a profit? Maybe, maybe not. Most don't look at boats as an investment - this isn't like owning a classic car.
Noted! i tend to agree with you, working on FORCE 85 on a bayliner drove me nutts you fix one thing and another thing is broke the 125 has been an easy one to work on tho 2 carbs four cylinders plenty of space to move tools around.
As for the investment side, I figured as much. that's why whenever i buy from auction i go for fishing boats and if i find a nice deal on a cuddy cabin outboards only lol. I am doing this to upgrade my way to a nice cabin cruiser.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Will do! also how about handrails how can i get those ? and what do you recommend i do for seats? I got this for 800 bucks and I would love to turn a profit on it.
the only way to make a small fortune on flipping boats is to start with a large fortune.

you do not make money

regarding hand rails, many times the hand rails are bolted on when the deck is up-side down in the factory before they foam it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
seat was like $60, handrails seem to be 100 i spent 150 already on hydraulics and 80 on starter motor. all in i'm $1000 into it how much would it be worth if I held on to it till summer ? we have a pretty good boating area here in DC.
DC as in Washington DC
DC as in Door County Wisconsin?

at a minimum you need to update your profile information. or put your location in your signature.

Zack Of All Trades

Seaman Apprentice
the only way to make a small fortune on flipping boats is to start with a large fortune.

you do not make money

regarding hand rails, many times the hand rails are bolted on when the deck is up-side down in the factory before they foam it.
So far it's been good! I started with 500 bucks and now I have 3 boats hopefuly the lucky streaks keeps on lol

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Plastic thru-hulls are not allowed per abyc standards for below the water line use. An older boat will have them, and they may be grandfatherd in. They will break easily as they age and sink you in a hurry.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
plastic thru-hulls get brittle and snap off starting at 5 years. some make it to 15. they all break