Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Go to the stickys and watch friscoe boaters videos. That’s where I learned the lingo and materials needed.
exterior grade plywood( available at your local home store)
you need to decide on polyester resin or epoxy resin.
I used us composites for my glass and epoxy. What glass depends on your choice of resin.
Yes PB ( aka thickened resin) . I mixed cabosil to make mine.
I watched some of his videos but mainly read his posts. I will keep that in mind when looking for wood. I still need to figure out what I want to use. What is cabosil?

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
To the OP, keep in mind that if you go the epoxy & fiberglass route you cannot put gelcoat over the top of it or polyester resin & fiberglass to allow bonding of gelcoat.

Epoxied boat floor deck 100% requires paint or some 100% opaque coverage such as glued boat carpet or other permenant boat floor deck covering due to epoxy gets damaged over time from significant UV exposure.

Many want/like to gelcoat the floor and/or bilge because of ease of cleanup. Can't do that if you epoxy the deck. There is hardended boat/deck paint, however I cannot speak of the pros/cons on it.
So I need to use resin and glass if I want to gel coat?

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
i think most of the responses here are saying its a bad idea to spend all your time and money to fix an old boat that has been left to the elements and with a broken motor as well.

you will get plenty of experience doing the resto so go for it , there is plenty of good info on the internet , there is also lots of bad as well.

start with a total strip down to bare bones and assess the project from there. look at the cost of materials and incidentals , they are expensive , you will also need special tools and extra tools most people do not have on hand for things like the drive and fiber glassing. shop trolley build to move it around , a step ladder is also a must :).
at that point that is where you can say with confidence if the project is worth all your effort or not.

look at the big picture ,? is the boat what you want , ? is it going to be as good as you are going to be expecting when all your time and money has gone into it.

keep the tread up to dat as you go and ignore the nay sayers unless there criticism is constructive .

I agree, I got my boat and trailer for free, luckily the engine was good. Needed some sterndrive work and transom work. But I agree with the OP I learned so much from this boat $1600 later. 🤪

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree, I got my boat and trailer for free, luckily the engine was good. Needed some sterndrive work and transom work. But I agree with the OP I learned so much from this boat $1600 later. 🤪
Man. I have spent probably double that just on tools and extra crap just to get to this point in the game! That's ok though. I am learning and the fun part is about to begin!!! Will probably have to put another 2000 into the boat to get it running as well as another 2000 at least into a running motor. Will probably have about 5-6k put into this boat when all is said and done.

Excited to get everything started!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
When you finally get to the 'fun' stuff, slow down and breathe. You came this far so ensure every step is well planned and most importantly executed correctly. Like house stuff demo can go wrong but be corrected afterwards as long as one is paying attention.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you finally get to the 'fun' stuff, slow down and breathe. You came this far so ensure every step is well planned and most importantly executed correctly. Like house stuff demo can go wrong but be corrected afterwards as long as one is paying attention.
You're saying what I have been feeling. I am afraid that something is going to go wrong when I rebuild and I will have to start that part all over again.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I watched some of his videos but mainly read his posts. I will keep that in mind when looking for wood. I still need to figure out what I want to use. What is cabosil?
Cabosil is the white fluffy stuff you mix in to resin to make it peanut butter( regardless using epoxy resin or polyester resin)

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
being your first build and the fact this is a learning build polyester is going to make life easer as IMO it is much more forgiving when it comes to lay up.

there are things that can go wrong with epoxy that take lots of work to fix.

epoxy is also very poisonous with that precaution against skin contact in any form or inhaling must be taken ,especially if you stuff something up and it needs to be ground back whilst it is still green (uncured) .
you have already discovered that you have sensitive skin , so there is a good chance you will get some bad effects with epoxy, ""take extra care when it comes to breathing fumes or dust ''
just because you cant smell it does not mean it is not dangerous to you health.

going the easy way out is not the answer , you will learn nothing from using epoxy .

personally i prefer epoxy , however i don't like the fact it is so toxic , so my go to is polyester.

choose your poison , but choose wisely ,both epoxy and poly are bad for health if proper precautions are not taken to protect yourself from exposure, trust me when i say , sitting in hospital after lung cancer surgery or cancer of the throat is no fun i can assure you .
""" i have had both '"" and have had a few mates that are now dead from working with toxic materials in industry.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Like I said to each his own and all the politics that go with it. So many misconceptions and at a point of "Who Cares?"
Just pick your poison.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
being your first build and the fact this is a learning build polyester is going to make life easer as IMO it is much more forgiving when it comes to lay up.

there are things that can go wrong with epoxy that take lots of work to fix.

epoxy is also very poisonous with that precaution against skin contact in any form or inhaling must be taken ,especially if you stuff something up and it needs to be ground back whilst it is still green (uncured) .
you have already discovered that you have sensitive skin , so there is a good chance you will get some bad effects with epoxy, ""take extra care when it comes to breathing fumes or dust ''
just because you cant smell it does not mean it is not dangerous to you health.

going the easy way out is not the answer , you will learn nothing from using epoxy .

personally i prefer epoxy , however i don't like the fact it is so toxic , so my go to is polyester.

choose your poison , but choose wisely ,both epoxy and poly are bad for health if proper precautions are not taken to protect yourself from exposure, trust me when i say , sitting in hospital after lung cancer surgery or cancer of the throat is no fun i can assure you .
""" i have had both '"" and have had a few mates that are now dead from working with toxic materials in industry.
I want to gel coat the boat, so poly resin is the way to go....correct? Will I need extra PPE for this?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When working with any resin, it’s a good idea to use a respirator that filters organic vapors. You likely can buy replacement filters for your current respirator that will work with polyester or epoxy.

I made peanut butter using poly resin, cabosil (aka fumed silica) and chopped strand fibers. You can make it without the fibers, I think, but it will probably be a little more brittle and not as strong.

When working with poly resin, they really nasty stuff is the MEKP, which is the catalyst for polyester resin. MEKP is quite flammable by itself (much less so when mixed with resin) and it is really bad to get on your skin.

Cabosil is a super fine and light powder, and whenever you try to scoop it or measure it, a bunch of it ininvariably will float up into the air. You absolutely did not want to breathe that stuff in. Because of the MEKP and the Cabosil, I would always try to mix my peanut butter outside, and then take it into the garage to work with it.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I want to gel coat the boat, so poly resin is the way to go....correct? Will I need extra PPE for this?

Yes, polyester resin for allowing gelcoat to bond against it when the surface is cleaned properly.

Need to make sure you are using volitile organic compound (VOC) filters on your respirator that will filter out the nasty particulates as well. It is the typical model that is used by automotive paint shops and house painters working with paint that has toxic fumes.

The current combo VOC filter with the high grade P100 air particulate filter protection for the most common 3M respirator is the 3M Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Cartridge/Filter 60923, P100 Respiratory Protection.

I will probably buy the respirator with the face shield when I do polyester and gelcoast as if you are in an enclosed area with poor ventiliation, your eye sinuses can slowly absorb those fumes.

That's why most auto body shop painters have the respirator with the full face shield and not a half face one like what most people buy.