Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Best concentrate on the boat repair.----Motors are easy to find / repair. As per post # 87 and #94 as well , in this saga.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You will also have to upgrade all of your gauges, wire harness and possibly
steering cables depending on new selection if not a Zuki.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Best concentrate on the boat repair.----Motors are easy to find / repair. As per post # 87 and #94 as well , in this saga.
Yup....I knew that I was gambling when I got this motor but it was cheap enough and I can make that money back with a couple 4 hour shifts of overtime. I think I will hold onto it for now and work on it over time and try to get it running. I know a guy who has rebuilt outboards before who I might be able to sweet talk into helping me bore it out.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
You will also have to upgrade all of your gauges, wire harness and possibly
steering cables depending on new selection if not a Zuki.
If I ever buy new, I think I might stick with Suzuki. I have a dealership up here that works solely on Suzukis.

briangcc

Commander
Well let me ask the question this way....

This boat is a learning experience for you. Does that entail just the boat or the boat & motor?

Remember, tinkering with a motor out on the water to get it running is definitely not a fun experience out in the waves & sun on a hot summer day with friends & family aboard. Or at least its not my definition of fun.

Which is why when I repowered my Bayliner, which I ordered ($50 deposit in 1999 - try that now), I went with a new Honda outboard.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well let me ask the question this way....

This boat is a learning experience for you. Does that entail just the boat or the boat & motor?

Remember, tinkering with a motor out on the water to get it running is definitely not a fun experience out in the waves & sun on a hot summer day with friends & family aboard. Or at least its not my definition of fun.

Which is why when I repowered my Bayliner, which I ordered ($50 deposit in 1999 - try that now), I went with a new Honda outboard.
It originally was just pertaining to the boat, but I also like tinkering.....so with that being said, my plan most likely will be to continue working on the boat, and if needed, get a newer motor/ controls. I will possibly hold onto his motor and work on it over time to see if I can't get it working... just because......Maybe I'll sell it....Who know's?

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick question... just saw a bunch of poly board for sale near me really cheap..... could I buy this instead of plywood and use it to glass in and rebuild the boat? Wouldn't have to worry about rot anymore.... research also hints that it's stronger and lighter than plywood.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_101454_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_101454_Facebook.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240412_101526_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_101526_Facebook.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 9

Black58

Cadet
I don't think the glass and resins would stick very well to that. Good buy for something else though! Someone else may have an idea about that stuff for ya though. Gettin the big winds there too today?

flashback

Captain
Nothing wrong with it in a pleasure boat, I wouldn't want it in a fishing boat. My Searay has snapin carpet, it's comfortable on bare feet.