Bought another toy, (Pics) UPDATED AGAIN!

LubeDude

Admiral
My son has been working on this car for some time, and just had another baby, so I relieved him of his 1969 El camino. I know this sounds cruel, but he was going to sell it cheaper than I thought he should, so I actually gave him a little more for it than he was willing to sell it to pay some bills. He can buy it back within a year if he so desires, otherwise Im going to fix it up a little more and resell it.<br /><br />Not an SS, but has an SS hood, it has new paint, (Maroon), and a new vinyl top, 8' X 15" Covette ralleys and a rebuilt 350, and 350 trans, Basically it needs interior work, and a lot of detailing which Im very good at. I know he will be sick when I have it finished and he sees me driving it around, but at least it is in the family still, and he has the opportunity to buy it back four a year.<br /><br />I havnt had a hot rod for a long time of my own and am looking forward to messing with it. Ill post pictures when I get some.

brother chris

Commander
Re: Bought another toy, (Pics) UPDATED AGAIN!

sounds great, love to see some pics when you are done.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey LubeDude! What kinda of oil you gonna run in it? Come on now, you can tell ole Boomyal. :D <br /><br />And what do you mean 'I'll post some pictures when I get some'? Just take them! :p

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Lubedude, take the car cover off of it when you take the pics please.... :p <br /><br />I had one of those years ago <br /><br />^<br /><br />^<br /><br />^<br /><br />^<br /><br />^<br /><br />^<br /><br />Stuck to the front end of my dads truck! Good Luck on your project...

ndemge

Commander

Awsome LD I want one of those one day

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Hey LubeDude! What kinda of oil you gonna run in it? Come on now, you can tell ole Boomyal. :D
Dello 400 15W-40 for the first change, then ?????<br /><br />Depends on if Im going to sell it or not. might continue to use it, as it is a great storage oil, and I will not be driving it every day.<br /><br />Surprised ya huh???

LubeDude

Admiral

Right now, its one of those cars that looks like a million dollars when you see it from about 50' or more, or going down the road, It has great eye apeal.<br /><br />So far, I have found a really nice set of 1995 Grand Prix (grey) Buckets for $120.00,(they are much more comfortable than the stock seats which I dont have anyway). They are not real high backed and will look great and Im ordering new door panels and will have grey carpet sewn to the bottoms of them, Im going to try and use the carpet out of the grand Prix also, they just gave it to me and its a really nice carpet, much better than the carpet you can order for those years, not sure if that is going to work yet as I havnt picked it up. Ill get a new headliner, and that is about all the parts I need, the rest is just labor and some rattle cans of paint. May have a spray on bedliner done later, and a tonue (SP) cover.<br /><br />The car is real solid, and dosnt have the floors rotted out and all, and they isnt even one ding in the bed.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Hi LubeDude.<br /><br />As for the spray in bedliner thing, they are nice, but to me they are like a tatoo, they are there forever.<br /><br />I'm not sure what you'll use the bed for, but this guy I know has a few Chevy shortbed show trucks, he as the fiberglass shell over the bed and carpet in the bed, there is a company that makes them fitted for different trucks. I thought it looked pretty cool, but would only work unless you keep the bed covered all the time.<br /><br />What are the rattle cans of paint for?<br /><br />And where are the pictures!!! :D

LubeDude

Admiral

I think you are right about the spray in liner, that was just a guck passing thought. Im sure it would look much better to just paint it the color of the car because it is so straight.<br /><br />The rattle cans are Krylon semi flat black for the firewall, innerfenders, core support, various brakets and such. If I were seriously concidering keeping the car, i would disassemble the entire frontend and paint with good paint and reassemble, but because im selling it, its getting the rattle can treatment. You will not ever know, Im an artist when it comes to detail. I will remove the radiator though, and it will be a shiny black when it goes back in, I like different glosses here and there, it makes things look good. Some things shiny, some thing semigloss. Exhaust manifolds will be removed and coated with a cast heat paint, as will the master cylinder and the steering box.<br /><br />Pictures maybe tomorrow.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /><br />As for the spray in bedliner thing, they are nice, but to me they are like a tatoo, they are there forever.<br />
Bedliners can be stripped just like paint. Any good bedliner company will warranty it for life anyway...so it will allways look good. They have lots of colors too, I've even seen metal flake. <br /><br />Let me know if you sell it LD...I've been thinking about getting an old El Camino. :D

LubeDude

Admiral

OK, here are a couple pictures, buy the engine picture, you can see what Im up against! :eek: <br /><br />
33%3B9655523232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E232364466%3C66%3Aot1lsi
<br /><br />
33%3B9655523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E232364466%3B778ot1lsi
<br /><br />Good looking rascal aint she??? :D <br /><br />This is a 1966 I did last year, If it had not been such a rust bucket, I would have kept this one, It was really nice when done.<br /><br />
33%3B9655523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E232364466%3A5%3A9ot1lsi

brother chris

Commander

What an awesome looking machine. Who cares if it needs a new motor, it is totally worth it.<br />Good on ya dude!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That's real sharp LubeDude. I can't believe that engine compartment belongs to that vehicle. I always like to start on the inside and work my way outward.<br /><br />The '66 looks good too.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by brother chris:<br /> What an awesome looking machine. Who cares if it needs a new motor, it is totally worth it.<br />Good on ya dude!
Believe it or not, that engine was completly gone through ten years ago and still runs like a clock, It has about 10,000 miles on it sence it was done. Its a 1970 four bolt main truck engine, and it has a new 600 Holley. It has some kind of a GM intake that has EGR block off plates, I just bought a Performer intake off Ebay for $56.00 that I will bead blast and put on it.<br /><br /><br />As ya say Boomyal, I would usually do the same, but the kid is just not quite in order yet, also it has a new windsield and back glass, it leaked before it was painted so he wanted to get it sealed up and painted before winter

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

u gotta love the '69 front end :D <br />even if the color is "suspect"<br />drove MY first born home from hospital in a cherry<br />'67 reg. 283 Malibu even... stolen from in front<br />of my house :(

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not a Chevy guy but I like it too. Does it have a vertical Tach. or am I off a few years on that? Manual or auto?<br /><br />Very good of ya to do that for the boy LubeDude.<br /><br />Good luck with the work .. looks to be worth it from here ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

No tach, they only had tachs if they were an SS, Its a turbo 350, shifts hard, must have a kit in it.<br /><br />I do not expect him to get it back, hes pretty strapped right now, Like I said, hes gonna be sick when he sees it in about a month. I do feel somewhat guilty, but he was going to get rid of it cheeper than I gave him for it. Honestly, Im not going to want to sell it either, but I cant justify it either. This is one of the most solid cars Ive seen in a while.

ndemge

Commander

Wow Lube, awsome looking work you've done.<br /><br />Get your but to MO to teach me the tricks to body work :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I learned something new L-Dude. <br /><br />*note to self: no tach unless SS model.*<br /><br />take your time and finance accordingly and things will turn out...<br /><br />I had a '65 Galaxy 500XL that I got rid of for safety sake ...I wasn't mature enough to own it and seeing these photos takes me back to some good memories..<br /><br />wish ya luck with it L-dude .. and I'm sure the son will be happy to see it in the condition he wanted it in AND in the family. ;) <br /><br />good luck again to ya and make 'er happen.

LubeDude

Admiral

Replaced the seals in the rearend and did the brakes, sand blasted and painted the wheels also (8" Ralleys) today. Last night I cleaned the floor, (inside), and sealed it with a brush on sealer and painted it with a brush, (black). Tomorrow Im going to remount the wheels and start detailing the engine compartment and mounting the new seats. It will be a roller tomorrow night again.