Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

love4movies

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
7
Is the penta 5.0 GI a good engine? At the time of when I bought it I did not realize that this was throttle body injection. Should I have held out for a GXI with MPI?
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

There is nothing wrong with the TBI system, the engines are fine.

Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

Should I have held out for a GXI with MPI?

Since you already bought it, don't you think it's a little late to be asking that ?
 

love4movies

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
7
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

Yes it is late to ask this question. Just wanted to know if I should have any buyers remorse.
 

QC

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
22,783
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

That's probably more about what's wrapped around it. Tell us more :)
 

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
5,146
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

That's probably more about what's wrapped around it. Tell us more :)

Yeah, seriously. I've now had 2 boats with V-P's TBI (the one in my sig. and a 1999 5.7) and they worked/work fine. My question is... is that '5.0' a GM or Ford engine?
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

Gi = GM fuel injected
Fi = Ford fuel injected

Note the first letter and the engine manufacturer.
 

love4movies

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
7
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

It’s a 2001 Glastron 205 GX. I am very happy with the boat and the price I got it for. I just wanted to make sure that throttle body injection was good, It was one of the factors that influenced this purchase.
 

Maclin

Admiral
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
6,761
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

Horrible engine, can't give them away, let me know where you are at and I will come take it away for you so you can try again :D

Seriously, that should be a great boat.
 

QC

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
22,783
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

TBI is great. I loved my Merc TBI. Most of the benefits of MPI, turn key, go. All good. If there is a fuel efficiency difference we're talking $5 a weekend. So what? I always say, "you'll spend more on ice."
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

It’s a 2001 Glastron 205 GX. I am very happy with the boat and the price I got it for. I just wanted to make sure that throttle body injection was good, It was one of the factors that influenced this purchase.

Then go enjoy your boat and stop worrying about things you can't change.
 

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
5,146
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

Gi = GM fuel injected
Fi = Ford fuel injected

Note the first letter and the engine manufacturer.

Duh! Thanks, Don. :facepalm:
 

RedMan1973

Cadet
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
19
Re: Bought a boat with the penta 5.0 GI engine is this a good engine?

Like they said, it is a good engine, as long as the services have been done on a regular basis, and you continue it, which I have no doubt you will. When I buy a “new to me” engine, the first thing I do is remove the valve covers and inspect the rockers and all that is showing, that will normally give you a good idea of what type of shape the engine is in and how well it was taken care of.
 
Top