bottom paint

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
when i bough my center console, the previous owner kept it in the water with an anti fouling paint. I trailer it now to and from the water with each use. Ive noticed in the spots were the paint is peeling off the hull i still shiney, which makes me think it was never sanded. Is there a way to remove the bottom paint and still keep the hull shiney without having to re-gelcoat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: bottom paint

You might try a product called "Peel Away" and scrapers.

tpenfield

Staff member

It is probably peeling in the spots where it is 'shiney' . . . and not peeling where it is not shiney.

So, there is no telling if the hull is consistently shiney. It could have been just a bad prep job.

Removing the paint (if you go that route) will be a memorable project, you'll never forget it. :eek:

I did that on my boat (remove the bottom paint), but is was merely to remove 10+ seasons of paint build up and start the process of seasonal painting over again.

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys, i think im going to try the stripper, and brand reccomendations

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Peel Away works well but can cause some nasty burns.
Follow the directions and get yourself a pair of heavy-duty rubber gloves with looooong cuffs.
You may need to apply it more than once to get all the old paint off.
Good luck.
PeelAway.jpg

ready4lake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to attemp to remove bottom paint. Is peel away safe for the gelcoat? I bought the boat last year and the previous owner put some bottom paint on it. I don't know why he did because he said he never kept the boat in the water. The bottom paint is very messy. It has ruined all my friends clothes because it rubs off the boat easily but does not come out of fabric very easy.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Peel Away won't hurt gelcoat.
After removing the bottom paint, take a good look at the hull. If there's no gloss, then the hull was sanded before the bottom paint was applied (which is the correct method).
If that's the case, you should apply an epoxy barrier coat if the boat is going to spend any significant time in the water.
Fiberglass is porous, especially if the gelcoat has been sanded.

ready4lake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I will remove a small area to see if it was sanded first. My boat stays on a trailer so I don't need the bottom paint. I hope it wasn't sanded. I just want to bring back the gelcoat. If it was sanded then I will just touch up the ablative paint that is on it because the previous owner gave me a bunch of it.
Thanks!