Bottom paint over topside paint

dmar11bb

Seaman Apprentice
Doing a one part paint job on topside of my 17 foot CC. Simple question I think.?

Do I run topside paint all the way down below water line then paint over with bottom paint? Or paint to a line and start bottom paint below.? I'll post pic

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Regardless, you have to sand the bottom anyway, so down to the bottom a couple inches won't hurt. Then tape your waterline and sand away.

dmar11bb

Seaman Apprentice
If I can figure out how to properly post pics of my project I will. Started out as a small spider crack repair. Oh boy. It's on now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
look at the photo listing tutorial in the rules and guidelines forum.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of single part topside paints will blister if they are underwater. Hulls can blister under bottom paint, if they are not completely waterproof.

So, I would not put topside paint under bottom paint. Also, if you are unsure about the waterproofness (is that a word) of the hull, use an epoxy barrier coat paint under the bottom paint.

dmar11bb

Seaman Apprentice
A lot of single part topside paints will blister if they are underwater. Hulls can blister under bottom paint, if they are not completely waterproof.

So, I would not put topside paint under bottom paint. Also, if you are unsure about the waterproofness (is that a word) of the hull, use an epoxy barrier coat paint under the bottom paint.
Ok good to know. Maybe a little more info from me. Boat is tailored. Typical trip is 6 hrs in water, and couple times a year its beaches for wife to sit on sand somewhere. Thinking a true bottom paint may be best. Thoughts? I'm going to try to post pics today

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It's a trailer queen. Sort if. I wouldn't bother putting bottom paint on if it's not left in for extended periods of time. I'm doing mine without bottom paint, if its an issue later I'll put it on. But I'm in freshwater.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A boat can stay in water for a week without antifouling paint. After that she will start to get some moss/grass/slime buildup.

In your case, I would not bother with antifouling paint. You can use topside paint on the entire hull, if you like. Topside paint will not blister until about 72+ hours of immersion.

dmar11bb

Seaman Apprentice
A boat can stay in water for a week without antifouling paint. After that she will start to get some moss/grass/slime buildup.

In your case, I would not bother with antifouling paint. You can use topside paint on the entire hull, if you like. Topside paint will not blister until about 72+ hours of immersion.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to repair a spot on keel where a little glass is showing. Then spot gel coat repair and leave it no anti foul

dmar11bb

Seaman Apprentice
I'm finally through 2 coats of topside paint. A ton of sanding but final coat goes on tomorrow. I will attempt to load pics. Using the total boat 1 part paint and after a very rough start I have to say its incredible stuff. One piece of advice, dont bother tipping. It flows out perfectly with just back rolling with a pretty dry roller.

Mderski

Recruit
Ok so I know I’m months behind on this thread. Any way you can tell me exactly what you did to paint? I’m looking for a complete tutorial but I end up down a rabbit hole and confuse myself even more. I have the same size boat and looking to paint. What type of paint, roller, grit sandpaper, thinners, additives for paint. Anything.