Boston Whaler chainsawed in half...

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boston Whaler chainsawed in half...

that is what, a thirteen foot whaler?<br /><br />here is what to do<br /><br />get a 16 foot aluminum boat, and put the back half of the whaler inside the boat, that way you get the good ride and seaworthy nature of a V hull.<br /><br />then, if you ever get into a situation that sinks the aluminum boat, you can do what so many other Whaler owners that have ventured out into the ocean have done ... cling to the unsinkable wreckage and wait for the coast guard to show up!!!!<br /><br />damn, JB is gonna git me fer that one<br /><br /> :p

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Umm! I thought i was crazy :p for adding a few feet for ramp, BUT it can be done (slice plates) molded off the hull, then transfer them to the interior, wedged under the foam and glue and screwed in place will allow for easy alignment of two halfs then glass it GOOOOD LUCK :rolleyes:

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New here. 60 foot rowing shells have been cut in half for years, It makes them easier to transport.<br /><br />Create a bulkhead on each open end. Bolt them together. Vaseline makes a good seal.

cootersplace

Seaman

I think it would be a hellof a project , but while your at it, why dont you add some length to it and make it really different, you would have a templett at front and rear to form to , so if you can put the 2 halves back together whats stopping you from adding the length in the middle. It would be pretty neat having a BW like nobody else's. Just a thought . Good luck with it. Cooter

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about the name..."REINCARNATION"...Huh, Huh?<br /><br /> :confused: ...Bob in Calif... :confused:

TomMcKinney

Cadet

Don-<br /><br />How's the project coming?<br /><br />I'm sure it can be done quite nicely<br /><br />I'd tack the boat down to a frame upside down to hold it in place. Grind back thegell coat along the cut and feather out 6 inches or so on each side of the joint, then build back up with multiple layers of glass and epoxy. flip it over and do the same on the inside and if needed glass in a foan or wood stringer near the chine the inside, paint and you have a new whaler<br /><br />If you haven't done it yet and want to get rid of the boat, I'm in so cal too and I'd take the project on<br />Tom<br />Tom

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

two words: duct tape