Bonding Wood Transom to the Structural Aluminum Shell

rxb902

Cadet
I have researched and found no clear information. Do you bond the new wooden transom to the exterior aluminum structure? If yes, with what? PB?

Thanks, posted old pics once upon a time, new pics soon.

1978 Starcraft Mariner

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bonding Wood Transom to the Structural Aluminum Shell

I am not a "Tinner" but from what I have discovered here on the forum, typically it is not done. As long as the wood is properly sealed and protected from the UV Rays, You just bolt it to the boat. Some have used rubber pads between the wood and the boat but not a necessity. The "Tinners" I'm sure will be along to offer more advice.;)

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Mine didn't come that way. The only fastening between the aluminum transom skin and the plywood is mechanical (#10 machine screws in my case).

I don't know if there would be any advantage (or disadvantage) in an adhesive bonding. The most important thing is to make sure the plywood is sealed so the resins don't eat away at the aluminum skin.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just removed mine about a month ago and just removed some screws and bolts... there was a very thin piece of rubber matting between that and the skin, but it was so damaged it wasn't really doing anything... I wouldn't be surprised if that was original.

I plan on painting my boat, so several coats of primer and paint I think would be sufficient to keep the wood away from the skin itself.

Along with the several coats of epoxy resin.. toss the bolts and screws back in and should be good to go.

My 2 cents.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

No need to adhere the transom wood to the aluminum, somebody is just going to have to remove the adhesive later.

A primer coat of paint and maybe a top coat or 2 on the inside of the transom aluminum will prevent galvanic corossion should water become trapped between the transom and wood.

As the others have said, seal your transom wood well with multiple coats of sealer (preferably epoxy resin).

kfa4303

Banned

+1. You DO NOT glue the transom, or anything else for that matter, to the hull of a tinny. Instead, the sealed (epoxy, f'glass mat & resin, spar urethane, oil based paint) transom should be through-bolted to the transom using all stainless steel hardware, dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant just prior to installation.

rxb902

Cadet

Thank you for the information. My transom has 3 coats of epoxy resin and 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of rustoleum topside so it appears I am good to go.

kfa4303

Banned

Sounds good. Should outlive you at this point :) Try to get the SS hardware in bulk, if you can, it gets a little pricey. You should be able to find 3M 5200 at lowes/HD. It's about $7 for a toothpaste sized tube. It's good stuff. A little goes a long way and it can be kind of gloopy, but should clean up with a bit of acetone.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

TIP: For all transom's, as kfa4303 eluded to, always predrill Bolt/Screw holes and coat the holes and the Bolts/Screws with Marine Sealant (3M 4200 is a good one) prior to installation. Doing this will greatly enhance the longevity of any transom, be it a Glasser or a Tinner! ;)