Bolts or Self tapping screws for installing wood floor?

bjennings79

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Which is best? Pontoon stuff has them both. Screws are $20 less and would install much faster, but are xylon coated rather than SS. Cant think of any advantages of the bolts other than they are SS might be easier to remove when it comes time to replace the floor again.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Bolts or Self tapping screws for installing wood floor?

Look at how big the screws are then look at the bolts, much much thicker and a way better bond, bolting is the way to go.

Screws work lose and remeber, the deck is a stressed member of the boat and is what gives it most of its torsional strength so you want the best bond you can get which only bolts give you, it si a little more time and effort but easily worth it.

I know if I were spending to time and money to redeck a boat I wouldn't even consider screws

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at how big the screws are then look at the bolts, much much thicker and a way better bond, bolting is the way to go.

Screws work lose and remeber, the deck is a stressed member of the boat and is what gives it most of its torsional strength so you want the best bond you can get which only bolts give you, it si a little more time and effort but easily worth it.

I know if I were spending to time and money to redeck a boat I wouldn't even consider screws

Screws work better!!! You need the beveled head to allow them to be flush to decking. About every pontoon/tritoon made will use self-tapping screws. Never had one on my pontoon ever come loose. SS would cost you an arm and leg, just price them out, Bolt/washers/nyloc nut.

bjennings79

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info, guys. Went with the bolts, mostly because they are stainless and the old screws were a major PITA to remove.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Actually few companies use screws on the deck and none of the highly ranked companies do, there is no two ways about it, a bolt will always be stronger than a screw.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

depends on the decking type IMO With 7 ply 3/4 wood deck the wood it self will give before the screws do. I just redid my deck with with a carpet kit from a popular site that has Pontoon Stuff and the screws they supplied are BEEFY compared to the factory ones on my pontoon. I figure my screwed and glued factory deck lasted 20 years, it will last another 20 with beefier screws. Also I will tell you that SS screw are a PITA, if you bugger up a thread in the SLIGHTEST bit installing the bolt, the nut WILL gall the threads. I just finished my Resto-mod and installing 100+ stainless steel 5/16" bolts for the 3rd pontoon, I probibly buggered up at least 20 bolts and removal isn't fun in tight quarters.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

The factories that use screws use them because they are cheaper both in cost and labor.

tommytoon

Cadet

bolts without any questions screws come loose,rust if not ss and the integrity of the vessel is the floor on a toon

bigdee

Commander

Thread forming screws (course thread and sometimes mistaken for self-taping) hold much better than self-taping screws and are highly resistant to looseing or backing out. Your tow vehicle is held together by these two types! It is really preference.....I would't be afraid to use either.