Body piercing, why do people do it?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi all,<br />Just interested to find out why people get body piercings. <br />I know I have my own reasons, and I now have 7 pieces. Most of mine are for one purpose, and they do that particlar job very well.(the wife loves them). I just got my nose(septum) done today, It is very interesting to see peoples reactions.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Body piercing, why do people do it?

Same reason I grew my hair to my mid-back in the 60's and 70's. It is a statement of that generation. It will pass like the wide tie, and return again later. Nice thing is we can express these fad's without facing a firing squad.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know about it passing, like a tie. It's not exactly something that you can just take off. I know some things can, but some of this is a permament body modification.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have the foggiest. :confused: :confused:

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

A complete mystery to me. :confused:

dolluper

Captain

For a little excitment in the sack Her having it doesn't bother me ,in fact pretty G O O D in my case doesn't turn a crank for me wouldn,t do it :rolleyes: :p :p

gaugeguy

Captain

I don't mind a belly button ring on SOME women, but I don't have a clue as to why some men would want to have so many things pierced...unless they are auditioning for a Clive Barker movie :confused:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Some people like to be different. Some people like to be the same. Some like to stand out in a crowd, some like to blend in.<br /><br />I would just say to you that all those peircings are distracting to the "non-pierced" if you are trying to have a serious conversation. I usually have an uncontrollable urge to rip them out for some reason. :D :D <br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

Personally I think it is totally retarded.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br />I usually have an uncontrollable urge to rip them out for some reason. :D :D
In the Corps I saw a Gunny rip an ear ring out of a L/Cpl's ear one morning. I never thought so much blood would come out of an ear :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have the same holes I was put on this Earth with and I have the same holes I plan on leaving here with.

NYMINUTE

Captain

What about tatoos on women? My DIL has one on her shoulder and ankle. She is 25 now and hates them. On a ladies legs, a snake on the calf looks pretty ugly.

spratt

Lieutenant

There was a day when only girls wore that kind of stuff...when did REAL men start wearing ear rings??? I am old school, and think that it is feminine for males to wear it, but again that is only me. I know I have seen some very masculine fella's wearing them that I would never attempt to call a girl...doesn't change my opinion that it is feminine still, though. Isn't it just the coolest thing when a waitress or waiter tries to take your order adn you can't understand what they are saying because of this piece of steel in their tounge or lips? Sorta reminds me of the pics I used to see in National Geographics of the African Natives with their bones and stuff stuck through them all over...or the Religious fanaticals in foreign countries where they stick things through their bodies...<br /><br />Ken, you mentioned that some folks just wanna be different, but how different are folks who all look the same??????

spratt

Lieutenant

NYM, I have my own opinion of tattoos also...male OR female.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My wife has two tattos and she hates the one on her shoulder. Its big and the colors are ugly.<br /><br />Actually, if you look back through history, piercings have been more common in men than women.<br /><br />I always wonder how folks are being different if a group of them do the same things? :confused: <br /><br />Ken

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The piercings,-- OOOOOO, to much information.<br />As far as tattoos,I don't have any,but I do like the young women that have them across the back of their waste :p

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> I do like the young women that have them across the back of their waste :p
You mean the "Tramp Stamp"? (Ooops....did I say that out loud?) ;) :p

spratt

Lieutenant

Dave, that is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cool!!! I just learned something today that I can use the rest of my life!!!<br /><br />TRAMP STAMP...I like it, and it is sooooooooo politically incorrect, which makes it even better!!!!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hmmm.. I'll pass on comment.

spratt

Lieutenant

Barlow, that was no pass!! Spit it out!! C'mon, let the whole world know what is on yer mind...inquisitive minds wanna know!!!