Boat's sold, what's next?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So the wife and I decided together that we would sell the big boat this year. We just didn't get to use it (in the water once) last summer, and the next couple probably won't be much different (new baby in the family). Compounding it, I pushed hard for a bass boat styled fish and ski, and it just didn't work out for most of the water WE boat on (rough ride, could only go out on the pristeen days with the wife). I put the procraft up on CL, and low and behold, it's sold. So....

Next year or the following year, I'll be on the hunt again. Of course, that mean's I'll start looking, well, now! Figured I'd toss a couple ideas up here and see what others thought. Hard requirements - need to be able to do an equal mix of fishing and pleasure boating. Needs to be big enough to grow with (thinking 20' min). Needs to have some get up and go (though not nessecarily as much as our procraft did). Needs to be able to handle the chop better than the procraft (shouldn't be too hard). Soft requirements - I'd prefer OB. I've had both, not going to get into a debate, I just like OB's better. I'd prefer snap in carpets. I'll probably look for newer, but not new (2 - 4 years old would be perfect).

So the one that has my eye currently is the Tahoe 215CC. Not for the name, of course, but for the layout. I like the idea of the center console (lot's of room to walk around), equal mix of pleasure and fishing ammenities, and the size is right. I especially like the idea of a casting deck and bench/layout seating on the same boat.

What else is out there that would be comparable with this? I'm all ears.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Boat's sold, what's next?

I'm getting vibes for a deck boat. She'll have a "condo on the water", great ride, etc. and can easily support fishing and all it's gear!

Here's a picmariah boat.jpg

Last edited:

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm getting vibes for a deck boat. She'll have a "condo on the water", great ride, etc. and can easily support fishing and all it's gear!

X2 They are about the most versitile all around boats.

smatsinger

Seaman Apprentice

X3...exactly what I was thinking.

We just changed, but went a different direction than you, not a single regret. Love the lake.

Last edited:

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why not a center console with cuddy cabin? Has the quiet protected area for the babies for changing, naps, feeding, etc. yet you get all the pleasures of a fishing boat? I've only seen these styles of boats so I don't know brands or model names but for sure I've seen them in the 20-23 foot range.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

19-21' center console with built-in bow seating. Add the cushions when you take the family for leisure boating; leave them at home, or some of them at home, for a simpler day. White fiberglass floor means never a need for nasty old carpet. Lots of open, safe space for the ankle biters to crawl around, plus high sides. Dry, comfortable cruising; great for water sports, beaching, swimming. Maintenance free.

Outboard, of course.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How about a walk-around cuddy fishing boat? Lots of outboard powered models, cuddy for the kiddo to nap and play in, lots of casting space, they tend to have more creature comforts then center consoles... Seems like a perfect fit for your needs.

cooleyo

Cadet

I just bought an 04 Hurricane 211GS with a 225 Yami. It fits your exact description of needs.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought an 04 Hurricane 211GS with a 225 Yami. It fits your exact description of needs.

My thoughts as well (I have an OB Hurricane), EXCEPT:

Needs to be able to handle the chop better than the procraft

Maybe not. I get banged around pretty good in the "CAT IV" hull

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the fixation with fishing means you will continue to boat alone. ;)

Here is an off the wall idea, instead of asking us, ask your wife what her "perfect boat" would be. I'm willing to bet it won't be a fishing rig and will be more along the lines of a great ride, maybe a head, something to invite friends out on, a little music, a BBQ, lots of seating space, etc.

Just a suggestion...

I'd second this.

You can make pretty much ANY boat work for fishing, but a dedicated fishing boat will never be any good for plain ol' "boating"...

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ha, had to laugh at a few of the comments. I should have mentioned, my wife likes fishing every bit as much as I do! She also has no problem jumping off the back when "nature calls" - so no head needed. The pleasure boating amenities are more for when my daugter grows up, I'd like to offer her the opportunity to do watersports.

I have looked at walk arounds as well as hardtops (one of my personal favorites are Penn Yann's). We may very well go in that direction, I just know that we liked the openness of what we had.

Trust me, we'll be looking together at everything under the sun, was just curious to get opinions here on what might be out there I wasn't aware of - which is exactly what I got with some of the Hurricane reccomendations.

Any other reccomendations, keep em coming!

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be intersted in learning more about these if anyone has brands to look at. I know, google is my friend, just figured if anyone knows off hand - let me know. Thanks!

Why not a center console with cuddy cabin? Has the quiet protected area for the babies for changing, naps, feeding, etc. yet you get all the pleasures of a fishing boat? I've only seen these styles of boats so I don't know brands or model names but for sure I've seen them in the 20-23 foot range.

Mark

Knot Waiting

I'd be intersted in learning more about these if anyone has brands to look at. I know, google is my friend, just figured if anyone knows off hand - let me know. Thanks!

Intrepid makes some beautiful yet tough center console cuddys. Otherwise check out Boston Whaler, Donzi, SeaVee, Tirumph, or Pursuit.

http://www.intrepidboats.com/
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/
http://www.donzimarine.com/
http://www.seaveeboats.com/
http://www.triumphboats.com/
http://www.pursuitboats.com/

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I like the deckboat idea. I just looked at Glastrons web page and their deckboats have platforms on the front and back if you want to fish. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I've talked with lots of folks that thought the cuddy was a great feature...until they experienced one. They do offer a place to store stuff out of the way of the cockpit, somewhere to duck the occasional sunshower, etc. But at rest, the cuddy very quickly becomes a sauna that you won't enjoy. Too hot for naps.

My buddies and I spent the night on a 28' Parker Wheelhouse during a spring outing. While we had the room for three below in the cuddy, it was so hot I moved to the wheelhouse and finally out to the cockpit to sleep. Trying to add ventilation or AC will be expensive. Good Luck!

Knot Waiting

I've talked with lots of folks that thought the cuddy was a great feature...until they experienced one. They do offer a place to store stuff out of the way of the cockpit, somewhere to duck the occasional sunshower, etc. But at rest, the cuddy very quickly becomes a sauna that you won't enjoy. Too hot for naps.

My buddies and I spent the night on a 28' Parker Wheelhouse during a spring outing. While we had the room for three below in the cuddy, it was so hot I moved to the wheelhouse and finally out to the cockpit to sleep. Trying to add ventilation or AC will be expensive. Good Luck!

I have a cuddy and stay overnight several times during the summer. I will admit that they can get hot but with a power inverter you can run a fan off a second battery though the night. Or if you buy a boat with shore power (like mine) you can easily plug in an a/c unit all night and sleep in perfect comfort. Plus they afford you the additional storage and..... the opportunity to get laid on the water, WIN!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I remembered the brand that I just saw at a Salt Water fishing show this past weekend; Parker. We walked on both the 23 and 25 foot models but the 25 footer also had a crows nest type tower above the cabin top that made it look ready for serious fishing. Twin Yami on the back..sweet looking machine. Of course the price tag with all the goodies was a little over $100k for the 25 on a trailer.
http://www.parkerboats.net

Mark

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off, as always - Thanks for the opinions and repsonses this far. IBoats is just an awesome community! Seems like about what i figured - 50/50 responses for CC and deckboats (with a few WA's, still thinking about those). Back to the first question - does anyone besides Tahoe make a combination center console deckboat? I know, I'm asking for alot, but at this point it's all about just gathering info on what's out there. Thanks again!