Boater's Paradise.....Sanibel Island!!!!!!!!!!!!

hodgejr

Seaman Apprentice
Just made it back from Sanibel/Captiva island on the west coast, and boy, what a sweet place to go boating! Being a new boater (2 months) I had only been on the tame waters of the intercoastal in S. Florida, and after doin the west coast, boating at home will seem lame!!!<br /><br />Anyways, we (me and 13 others) split a house and were in 2 boats, my 16 ft. Bayliner and his 18ft Cobia. We went to this Cabbage Key place 10 miles north and enjoyed some jumbo shrimp. I had never realized how slow my boat (50hp merc.)was till i was in open waters, but it never skipped a beat even though i was at 4500 rpm the whole time.<br /><br />The next day I forgot to put oil in my tank and rode for 10 miles till I realized it. Then I returned with the oil indicator buzzing the whole way back! As soon as i took the cover off i noticed there was about maybe 1/2 cup of oil left. Talk about lucky... :eek: <br /><br />Animals i saw:<br />* Armadillos<br />* Turtles<br />* Manatees<br />* dolphins (many)<br /><br />oops, now i look like a city slicker (I actually grew up on a farm), but you just don't realize what Florida's about till you hit the Glades, Keys or West Coast. :) <br /><br />Try it, you'll like it.

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boater's Paradise.....Sanibel Island!!!!!!!!!!!!

My oppion that whole place is a paridise (no matter if you are in a boat, on the beach, diving, what ever)... I love the area...(I hate being land locked in NC sometimes).... Glad you had a good time.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Did you make it as far north as Boca Grande?<br />That's where the big ones are. I rarely get up that way, but it is worth the trip. It's the deepest water that close-in. This is the only problem with this coast...Shallow tributaries,as opposed to deep blue expanses.<br />I sure wish I couls trade a couple days :) <br />But glad you had a good time. Yeah, they kinda slow down when u got a boat load :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, HodgeJr. With all of the adversity you overcame to get to Sanibel, with your boat, you earned a great trip. I am so glad you got it. Congratulations!!<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

hodgejr

Seaman Apprentice

hey, thanks a million. A cold one on you guys for all the help and tips. Who would imagine that after stoppin by this board I would make a change as drastic as switchin my tow vehicule?<br /><br />As i round up my hours i'll share more adventures with you guys, afterall now i'm hooked on takin my boat on trips! :cool: <br /><br />cheers