Boat Won't Turn Over, No Click, Battery fully problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Won't Turn Over, No Click, Battery fully problem

Thanks for helping out.

I had used Bars Leaks Head Gasket Repair as the substance that I put into each bore.

After trying to start it again, I realized that I had not put the accelerator in "Start". It was in "Run". So the RPM was not getting high enough to try and start the motor. Well after putting it in "Start", the starter would BARELY move the flywheel when I turned the key and it started SMOKING. I tried again and the motor started up nice, but then quit after a second, and the starter was just smoking bad and smelt like burnt rubber or something. Starter was HOT and sounded like it was hissing.

I'm assuming the starter is gone now.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think you're assuming correctly.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I had used Bars Leaks Head Gasket Repair as the substance that I put into each bore.

Why did you use that? What were you trying to do? :eek:

Anybody else think this could be a real problem?

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why did you use that? What were you trying to do? :eek:

Anybody else think this could be a real problem?

Yes !! It is probably gumming up the crank case and coating cyl walls and inside the ports & rings. No wonder the starter motor is laboring . I wonder how you would effectively flush that engine out? What is the clean up chemical for that stuff ? It is amazing to me that it fired at all.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used Barrs stop leak once to fix a leaky radiator. It plugged up the hole for a little while but then started leaking again. It totally plugged my heater core and was more trouble than it was worth. I used some type of radiator fush chemical to flush out the heater core. Had to do it twice to keep the heater core free, that barr'stuff is hard to get rid of.

I think that the radiator flush is muriatic acid, so I wouldn't want to dump that in the engine. It would make things even worse.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Barrs Leak is to be used in the cooling system of four stroke engines to stop leaks... it even works splendidly to completely seal up slightly cracked four cycle automotive blocks. It is not however designed to be poured in the oil crankcase of a automotive four cycle engine as it will surely cause damage to the engine.

This is in effect what you have done with your two cycle engine. The chemical mixture of the Barrs Leak formula is now circulating within the engines moving parts and will no doubt continue to do so. I believe that you are now faced with dismantling the engine in order to clean the interior of that two cycle crankcase thoroughly.

It's a good idea to ask of an technician what they suggest you do before you actually do it. It would help to avoid some problems.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well spoken Joe !! Agree x 10.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

Well that is disappointing information. I had a friend of mine actually tell me that when you run it without oil you need to put that stuff in it. Wow. I really guess there isn't anything else to do with this old motor but try to sell for parts (what little arent screwed up). That really stinks. Well I appreciate the help guys. Anyone want a boat? sell it for $100!

Lone Duck

Well that is disappointing information. I had a friend of mine actually tell me that when you run it without oil you need to put that stuff in it. Wow. I really guess there isn't anything else to do with this old motor but try to sell for parts (what little arent screwed up). That really stinks. Well I appreciate the help guys. Anyone want a boat? sell it for $100!

Do not give up yet!! This would be a great learning curve for you. (1) possibly need a new starter. (2) Get a proper Manuel for that engine (3) get a gasket kit for engine (4) research Bars leak and find out if you can flush it out with minimal tear down effort. You can take your time on this project and learn about outboards. Who knows some one here may come up with a method on how and what to flush it out with. I say this because it tried to run and you have 100 compression on cyl.( I would get the manual and tear it down and see what is what.)

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now where did you actually insert that stuff from? Through carburetors or spark plug holes?

With some luck you could get that substance out by just removing cylinder heads and carburetors, which should not take more than 5min for each of them.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

I inserted the Barrs Leak directly into the four spark plug holes. After doing so, I manually turned the flywheel. Will this have a better outcome rather than inserting it into the carbs?

This definitely has been a learning project and looks like it will continue to be one.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I had a friend of mine actually tell me that when you run it without oil you need to put that stuff in it.

With friends like that ....etc. :facepalm:

Bars Leak is a Rislone Group brand.
I suspect that your friend actually meant a different Bars Leak product....i.e. not the rad leak stopper.

I'd call their Tech Support number and see what they say.
They will have heard just about everything, so i don't think this would scare them.

1-800-345-6572

Good luck.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

. I say this because it tried to run and you have 100 compression on cyl.( I would get the manual and tear it down and see what is what.)

That is basically an anaerobic glue....of course the compression is high.....great ring sealer.
Unfortunately it also has a really high coefficient of friction....really awful lubricant. :facepalm:

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

Well "my friend", haha, actually helped me install the new water pump just about a month before so I trusted him when he said to do this. Didn't think twice about it, but unfortunately, now I'm paying the price. Its ultimately my responsibility, but gotta figure it out now.

I called them to let them know what I had done but only got a message machine. If any of you have any ideas/solutions, they would be greatly appreciated. I'll do some searching myself and let you know if I found anything.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I'd take the heads open then. Atleast some solvent should be able to clean it off and I'd expect that not too much of it has made its way into crankcase past piston rings.

Lone Duck

I guess I'd take the heads open then. Atleast some solvent should be able to clean it off and I'd expect that not too much of it has made its way into crankcase past piston rings.

My understanding is that it is a 2 cycle which means it has ports . The first stroke of piston will force the crap into the crank case unless it is very very thick. For clean up there has to be a solvent made for that stuff.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

Took the heads off. Nothing much was in there. Did't notice any obvious signs of clogging or obstruction. The pistons moved up and down without any build up of the gasket repair stuff. I guess it's been absorbed throughout the rest of the motor already? No luck finding a solvent so far...

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would agree that talking to a rep from the company would be the most helpful. Knowing what chemical it is would be the first step in figuring ot how to get rid of it.

Some anerobic glues are really hard to cure when exposed to oils or other contaminates. Hopefully thats what's in this stuff. That's why they have loctite primers etc.

Lone Duck

Took the heads off. Nothing much was in there. Did't notice any obvious signs of clogging or obstruction. The pistons moved up and down without any build up of the gasket repair stuff. I guess it's been absorbed throughout the rest of the motor already? No luck finding a solvent so far...
Turn the crank by hand with the head off. Is it stiff? Or turns freely? Is there any bearing noise? Does it say on the bars leak container what to use for clean up? How do the cylinders look, is there a film on the walls ? Are there deep scratches on the walls? Can you still see the cross thatching? Do not put the heads back on just yet.

msbmsb

Recruit
Have a 2002 Yamaha 40HP 2-stroke. Would randomly not turn over. Was getting progressively worse (turned over first time but not second time. Tilt/trim worked fine so knew power was getting from control to motor. Would pull start in one pull when warm, but no crank (not even a starter click). Cleaned all battery contacts, checked fuses, and jumpered neutral safety. Broke down and brought it to the marine repair across the lake. Turns out ignition switch was going bad and had to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.