boat wont start

so finally got my boat free and everything but together the motor turns over but wont start it just cranks and cranks doesn't fire i had a friend look in carb idk if when i turn key over is the fuel should be going into the carb of not but there was no fuel injected into it so i had a electric fuel pump laying around i rigged that up and now when i turn over the motor fuel gos in carb but still wont fire and start we also checked for spark and we are getting a bright blue spark and also the spark plugs are new i'm at a crossroads here if theres something i missed or something someone can help me figure out to get this dam thing running thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Would help to know what you are working on, and what you did

Engines need compression, fuel and correctly timed spark

Did you have the distributor out?
Did you verify timing?
What is your compression readings?
How did you check spark? Where did you check spark?

ok it has all of them the distributor was out and was line back up and put back in otherwise it wouldnt go back on didn't check the timing ill look into that today don't have a compressor reading but did check compression by hand don't know if this helps but it was strong enough to almost push my hand away i check the spark but taking out each plug and putting it near metal while turning the engine over and same when the middle wire for the distributer honestly forgot about the timing that might be my issue going to shop today to do it and the boat forgot the year but its a hammond i have a post i made about the pistons being stuck and what i could do that might have the year and engine on it its a v8

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
As with any troubleshooting: ALWAYS look for the easiest thing to fix first and go uphill from there...so, that being said...does your engine have a kill switch/lanyard? If so, is the lanyard installed?

It's often easy to forget and overlook little things like that...I've forgotten my kill switch/lanyard many times and feel like a fool once I realize it wasn't in place.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ok it has all of them the distributor was out and was line back up and put back in otherwise it wouldnt go back on didn't check the timing ill look into that today don't have a compressor reading but did check compression by hand don't know if this helps but it was strong enough to almost push my hand away i check the spark but taking out each plug and putting it near metal while turning the engine over and same when the middle wire for the distributer honestly forgot about the timing that might be my issue going to shop today to do it and the boat forgot the year but its a hammond i have a post i made about the pistons being stuck and what i could do that might have the year and engine on it its a v8
  • you have not answered - what motor
  • you have not checked compression with a gauge. not sure what you are doing with your hand. a healthy V8 is 135-150 psi on all cylinders, a tired V8 is 115-135psi on all cylinders, a motor needing rebuild is below 115 psi on any cylinder
  • you have not properly set your distributor since you had it out (you must align TDC on piston #1 with tower #1, then you must rotate the engine until the distributor drops into the oil pump drive shaft. then you set timing.
  • you did not properly set timing.

ok well thanks for the info i was getting around 146-147ish psi and sorry for not responding sooner been busy and i did the distributer aligning before reading this and that was it

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
Glad you sorted it out!
I mentioned the lanyard because the last time we went out, I had moved from the helm to adjust the bimini top and pulled the kill switch, when I sat back down to fire up the engines, they of course wouldn't turn over. After a few minutes with no luck, and the kids starting to whine and complain...I verbally went through every step of starting up as I touched each part...and that's when I realized the lanyard wasn't attached. Plugged it in, motors fired up...day was saved and fun was had by all. Ego a bit dinged.