Boat with engine ($500 update)

powers55

Seaman
Well, I've been in touch with the seller of this vessel, during the day today. He now has now dropped the price to $250 hmm..Well come to find out his mother was talking to my wife when I was talking to the seller about the boat. And she wants it gone (like yesterday) because they want to use the land for logging. So apparently this isn't all about the $$ it's just that him and his father wanted it for a project, and never really started it or gave it much thought so. But now for $250 hmm well, I'm thinking this is something that I can't turn down, even if I just keep the engine and get rid of the boat so. Then I have to find room for in my yard (something else to think about)

Attachments

• 20230311_140143.jpg
    20230311_140143.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33

alldodge

Staff member
If motor runs your good, if it doesn't then you just lost money

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it’s not about the money offer to haul it away.
If that don’t bite it wasn’t meant to be.
Best

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's been sitting in the woods a long time. I would venture a guess that thew boat is not salvageable (aka not cost effective - lots of money to get it to float).

The trailer looks awful. Jack is broken. Boat is not sitting on the bow roller (warped hull, trailer bent?) Those tires can't be usable.

Personally, I would not attempt to drive that thing down the highway. It looks worse than some of the "free" boats on my local CL. I would'nt take it if they paid ME $250.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here is my take

it will cost you $125 to get that boat to your house on a flatbed
the motor will need lots of love or to be replaced. pull it off and set aside for now
the hull will need to be de-rigged and the cap removed. the transom, stringers, foam and floor will need to be replaced. that is $3000
the upholstery is most likely shot, new substrate, foam, vinyl, and hardware, that is $2500
now, wiring is probably rodent eaten, so you have to replace a bit of wiring. that is $200
the throttle and gear shift cables probably need replacing, that is $100.
the steering cable and helm probably needs replacing, that is $550
Motor needs about $500 or a replacement
you will need a new trailer at $1800

and in between this, you dedicated 1000 hours of your time

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The generator and voltage regulator could be transferred to his 68 model 40 HP

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Years of Evergreen Needles will have softened the Floor under any Carpet, and all the snow should mean the boat gets rinsed every spring thaw

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Might have had up to 2 tons of snow on it.----Buyer beware.----I have to say the motor MIGHT be the best part.---- Only if you can maintain it yourself.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Might have had up to 2 tons of snow on it.----Buyer beware.----I have to say the motor MIGHT be the best part.---- Only if you can maintain it yourself.
That would certainly give the trailer, suspension and frame, a run for its money

powers55

Seaman
If motor runs your good, if it doesn't then you just lost money
Good morning you are correct but..i look at like this, no one likes loosing $$ but there is some value in that boat , engine , and the trailer, even if it's a small amount, hey it's better then losing $500 i guess, like they always say if it was meant to be it will right.....and everything happens for a reason....

powers55

Seaman
Trailer that rolls and moves with tires that hold air should be worth $250
correct something has some value on that boat so and everything happens for a reason right/ i look at it this in a positive way so..

powers55

Seaman
That's been sitting in the woods a long time. I would venture a guess that thew boat is not salvageable (aka not cost effective - lots of money to get it to float).

The trailer looks awful. Jack is broken. Boat is not sitting on the bow roller (warped hull, trailer bent?) Those tires can't be usable.

Personally, I would not attempt to drive that thing down the highway. It looks worse than some of the "free" boats on my local CL. I would'nt take it if they paid ME $250.
you are correct and i have thought about all these things thank god i already have mine all done, so we will see how this plays out

powers55

Seaman
here is my take

it will cost you $125 to get that boat to your house on a flatbed
the motor will need lots of love or to be replaced. pull it off and set aside for now
the hull will need to be de-rigged and the cap removed. the transom, stringers, foam and floor will need to be replaced. that is $3000
the upholstery is most likely shot, new substrate, foam, vinyl, and hardware, that is $2500
now, wiring is probably rodent eaten, so you have to replace a bit of wiring. that is $200
the throttle and gear shift cables probably need replacing, that is $100.
the steering cable and helm probably needs replacing, that is $550
Motor needs about $500 or a replacement
you will need a new trailer at $1800

and in between this, you dedicated 1000 hours of your time
Hello Scott i hear ya man, and when i got my other boat, i thought the same thing and was nervous about getting the whole thing done. But it wasn't the bad at all, and with a bad wheel bearing i towed that boat home from Kilington Vt to my place (about 170 miles) i thought for sure i would need a flatbed, but we didn't. My point here is that, i'm not going to think of the worst case thing or the cost of anything until i decide what's worth saving if anything is.If there is some value in ONE of those three things (maybe more) i just don't know til i try right.....at least i still have my finished boat waiting for me when i get sick of it all right...

powers55

Seaman
Years of Evergreen Needles will have softened the Floor under any Carpet, and all the snow should mean the boat gets rinsed every spring thaw
Yes def it's been out in the woods for abit but we shall see ya know

powers55

Seaman
That would certainly give the trailer, suspension and frame, a run for its money
Ya know Jim when turned the flywheel on that engine the compression felt really good(just saying) so i'm not giving up on this because i'm after that engine ya know

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Price out how much it will cost if you have to take the boat to the dump....might surprise you as to how much it will cost. (Heavy)