Boat VS Kaboat? Need to decide

BIGSTARCRAFT

Cadet
Re: Boat VS Kaboat? Need to decide

I have the SK470xl and run a 2001 6hp merc on it or a little 50lb minnkota for electric only waters....It is a fun little boat.. I can either inflate it and carry it on my truck or bag it up and take it camping while pulling the trailer.. Fits me and my 2 boys perfect.. This version is wider than the other models.. I was worried about the stability until I tested it out.. It really is a solid inflatable... We plan on doing a 10 mile river float next month with it.. I picked up a smaller 2002 5hp merc that weighs almost 20 lbs less to try this season..

stilesp

Seaman Apprentice

Columbus, OH area. I also made a solid floor out for my Kaboat of plywood and boat carpet which helped me gain about 2.5-3inches estimated floor depth which made a lot of difference in comfort and space. I almost bought the same Kaboat as bigstarcraft got but they were out of stock and the zodiac zoom was such a good price I couldn't pass it up. I've still yet to get it out on it's maiden voyage yet.

G

Columbus, OH area. I also made a solid floor out for my Kaboat of plywood and boat carpet which helped me gain about 2.5-3inches estimated floor depth which made a lot of difference in comfort and space. I almost bought the same Kaboat as bigstarcraft got but they were out of stock and the zodiac zoom was such a good price I couldn't pass it up. I've still yet to get it out on it's maiden voyage yet.

Enjoy your zoom, I have one and love it (except for the weight when its full of stuff). it is to damn heavy to pull it out the water with all the gear in it including the outboard. When you put on transom wheel makes sure you put all the weight/gear on the back of the boat so the wheels can support that weight otherwise you might be in a lil bit of trouble. Hopefully i will get word on the effectiveness of these kayak wheels Ronald has. Sinister bought them also and we will test trial our next time out.

stilesp

Seaman Apprentice

I'm putting together a harbor freight trailer right now but it's taking a bit of time when I only get a few minutes here and there to work on it. So I should be good to go once that is done.

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice

He does already own two? I missed that somewhere. How much does the smallest KaBoat weigh? They do look very well built, just kinda narrow.

I saw one of these in person at a recent show and although it was much narrower than I expected, it really helped make sense of the "Kaboat" name. It is basically a bigger, more comfortable Kayak you can strap a small motor to. For me its all I need so if I can avoid the extra weight and such, so be it!

I have the SK470xl and run a 2001 6hp merc on it or a little 50lb minnkota for electric only waters....It is a fun little boat.. I can either inflate it and carry it on my truck or bag it up and take it camping while pulling the trailer.. Fits me and my 2 boys perfect.. This version is wider than the other models.. I was worried about the stability until I tested it out.. It really is a solid inflatable... We plan on doing a 10 mile river float next month with it.. I picked up a smaller 2002 5hp merc that weighs almost 20 lbs less to try this season..

Thats a beauty!! Which model is that badboy?

Thats a great idea. I would think with the loss of 3inches you would ride kinda high in the boat. I guess thats better then worrying about the pooch or kids dinging the daggone floor up :laugh:

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice
Gents - Just order my own SK470XL 15ft Kaboat! The guys say its due in on the 11th of June along with their other models so hopefully I'll be out on the water soon my brothers!

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice
Nice... They changed the seat design I see.. You will like it..Good luck

Yes it seems they reinforced a number of the areas of PVC as well. This is one of their more expedition ready models so lets see what kinda trouble I get into!! :joyous: