boat training

kissarmy007

Cadet
Hello anybody ever hire boat boy for boat training.I have parker 25 foot this is my first boat so i need a little help docking and close quarter handling. thanks

smclear

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat training

I've heard of people hiring for that purpose although it's probably kind of rare for a boat that size. It's real common on 100+ footers. Have you taken any boating classes. They could help. Also, where are you locaetd?

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And you may not want to call him a boat boy.

Just saying................

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I never heard of the boat boys, but it seems to be a great idea (and a possible source of income for some on this site), and I may check them out - When I ever find a boat. {For rent: Tashasdaddy - $100/hr - slightly used - U Haul}

Actually, I may just offer my local, crusty, salty, permanent-tanned, waterman boat lift installer guy a couple of hundred (or an apre' boating crab dinner) to take me and my new boat out for a few hours. He can show me the real ropes (aside from book-learning), and show me what's interesting around the area.

Probably, if you put a note up at the local marina/fishing club board, offering free boating/fishing time in exchange for wise-old-salt advice, you'd get some takers. I'd guess that experienced boaters would be happy to pass on their knowledge (just like on this site!), especially for a free trip on a different boat.

You have sparked some ideas. Thanks.

EDIT: The Coast Guard Auxiliary (I think that's their name) around here gives the Maryland mandatory new-boater's course for the youngish-folks. I took the course with my kids - the teachers were all retired boat-guys who knew every hidden rock and stump around here, and their own best fishing secrets. (Navy/CG/Merchant Marine Boatswain's mates and such) They seemed to be guys who'd LOVE to pass on their boating knowledge to appreciative newbies. Plus they all have stories of boating knuckleheads they've known in days gone by. I'd definitely check with them.

Jim

mthieme

Captain

I've heard of people hiring for that purpose although it's probably kind of rare for a boat that size. It's real common on 100+ footers. Have you taken any boating classes. They could help. Also, where are you locaetd?

I know many people that could use a little help docking a 25'er. Classroom is one thing but that ain't gonna help in close quarters with a breeze taking your bow and only one screw.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

slow and steady,and a lot of practice is your best friend. go out during the week less crowded and pressure and just practice.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Too many people when trying to maneuver the boat in tight spaces use too much throttle. Slow precise movements are best. Like one of the other ones said, it comes with practice. Even with a "boat Boy" he is going to make you practice. I have given a few lessons and one of the things that I have used is to be cruising and throw a life jacket or something that floats off the boat and go get it. Backing up to it and picking it up will help you get use to how the boat handles. Do it with a little wind and after you master that you will be able to impress everyone with your boating skills.

capt sam

a 25' boat can be a lot of boat at times, check with local marinas or boat dealers, many have Capt's for hire just for this.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

a 25' boat can be a lot of boat at times, check with local marinas or boat dealers, many have Capt's for hire just for this.

that's funny... i always told my wife that if there was somone at the public launch "for hire" to help me launch, I would have paid them

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

that's funny... i always told my wife that if there was somone at the public launch "for hire" to help me launch, I would have paid them

I hope she reacted well to the news :eek:

capt sam

having had to wait for people to launch I think you may be on to something, could be a good job for my kid this summer, just get him a t-shirt that says "Will launch for $10" or something.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

having had to wait for people to launch I think you may be on to something, could be a good job for my kid this summer, just get him a t-shirt that says "Will launch for $10" or something.

its not a bad idea. If there was a team of guys there that would back in the trailer, launch the boat and pick you up at the dock, I'd be all over it.

You kid could probably do well being there to catch a line and tying it off, attaching winch lines, holding lines while launching, etc.

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too many people when trying to maneuver the boat in tight spaces use too much throttle. Slow precise movements are best. Like one of the other ones said, it comes with practice. Even with a "boat Boy" he is going to make you practice. I have given a few lessons and one of the things that I have used is to be cruising and throw a life jacket or something that floats off the boat and go get it. Backing up to it and picking it up will help you get use to how the boat handles. Do it with a little wind and after you master that you will be able to impress everyone with your boating skills.

I agree about the bit of throttle, I am no boat probut I find the biggest problem is over compensation. You honestly only need to touch into throttle and touch out other wise you spend all your time trying to correct.
The life jacket thing is good practice but another good one for docking is to (depth permitting) throw a couple of marker buoys into the water about 10' apart and try to dock against / alongside them. This gets especially difficult when ther is a bit of chop and wind. If you do it away from traffic you can do it all day with out feeling like everyone is watching you at the marina

capt sam

its not a bad idea. If there was a team of guys there that would back in the trailer, launch the boat and pick you up at the dock, I'd be all over it.

You kid could probably do well being there to catch a line and tying it off, attaching winch lines, holding lines while launching, etc.

There's a guy here that runs sort of a valet service, he backs your boat in and then parks your vehicle after you power off the trailer. When you head back in, you just call and he has the trailer in the water waiting to pull you out, it's like $15 I think.

My 13 year old kid can operate any boat under 25', docks like a champ and can load them on trailers all day, now if he could only drive a truck......

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Was it ever said where you'd be boating? Tidal currents can add a tremendous learning curve to any docking situation. I've been boating my entire life. I moved to S.E. Florida in my mid twenties and thought I knew everything about boating. My first attempt at leaving the dock with the current pushing me onto the dock was a definite "Americas Funniest Video's" moment. I think my face must have turned ten shades of red as I bounced off the dock for a good 50 feet:(. Also the first time I encountered 8 footers coming in the Port Everglades entrance as I was trying to head out. I'm pretty sure I needed to change my shorts after that one. Sure was a humbling experience. I am quite comfortable with either situation now, but I no longer live in an area where that matters.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a guy here that runs sort of a valet service, he backs your boat in and then parks your vehicle after you power off the trailer. When you head back in, you just call and he has the trailer in the water waiting to pull you out, it's like $15 I think.

My 13 year old kid can operate any boat under 25', docks like a champ and can load them on trailers all day, now if he could only drive a truck......

it is a great idea! If i ever lose my job, I am parking my azz at the busy public ramp and starting a business :) -- better work on my backing skills . . .