Boat swamped, let's see if we can get it running...

nola mike

Vice Admiral
A few updates from today. New oil switch, rerouted wire harness. Went to put the drive back on, noticed the prop wouldn't turn. Looked in the cavity, decided to remove the prop. Hmmm.
IMG_20220501_133005.jpg
Tried to clean it out and flush the exhaust back and forward. No dice.
Split the drive and found a bit of debris in there.
IMG_20220501_152505.jpg

Cleaned all that out, but the real problem is what I found on the plug when I drained the oil.
IMG_20220501_145138.jpg
IMG_20220501_145157.jpg

This is the drive from my donor boat. I think I put it on last summer some time.
Upper gears and oil looked fine:
IMG_20220501_145739.jpg

So is this drive toast? I'm not into catastrophic failures if I can help it. Anything I can/should do with this?

Anyway, I put on my spare drive. Went to raise it, and click. Up and down. Cleaned connections, no luck. Motor did nothing when I jumped it. I assume the salt bath was not good for yet another component. I pulled the pump but didn't take it apart yet. I found a spare pump, I might throw that in (but I don't know if it works either).

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That amount of 'fur' on the magnet isn't unusual. As long as there's no chunks, all good.

Chris...(nice to see the thread back on track. ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Did you get my pm?)

nola mike

Vice Admiral
That amount of 'fur' on the magnet isn't unusual. As long as there's no chunks, all good.

Chris...(nice to see the thread back on track. ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Did you get my pm?)
It wasn't the normal fur. Look at the second pic, and these weren't the biggest pieces. Felt very gritty

achris

It wasn't the normal fur. Look at the second pic, and these weren't the biggest pieces. Felt very gritty
Yeah, I was using the phone 🤦... On the computer now, and the picture of the crap on your finger doesn't look good. Looks like the case hardening that you'd find on a bearing race... I think I'd be pulling the Gear Housing apart and examining all the bearing (and gears) very closely. Either that or run it until it experiences 'rapid unexpected self-disassembly'...

Chris.....

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I was using the phone 🤦... On the computer now, and the picture of the crap on your finger doesn't look good. Looks like the case hardening that you'd find on a bearing race... I think I'd be pulling the Gear Housing apart and examining all the bearing (and gears) very closely. Either that or run it until it experiences 'rapid unexpected self-disassembly'...

Chris.....
Well, I don't know that I want to tackle that. I've read about removing that bearing carrier ... And then I'll need tools to put it back together. How do you know it's the gear housing and not the driveshaft housing? I've got a spare gear housing. Like I said though, I'm trying to avoid the catastrophic failure 25 miles from home. I'll keep the other drive on there at least for now.

achris

Ok, the drive shaft housing it very easy to disassemble, and with only the special spanner for removing the cover nut. As it doesn't take long to pull that box apart, start with that one. Look at all the bearing race surfaces.

Chris....

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ok, the drive shaft housing it very easy to disassemble, and with only the special spanner for removing the cover nut. As it doesn't take long to pull that box apart, start with that one. Look at all the bearing race surfaces.

Chris....
Yeah, that's reasonable. I can see that the 2 gears and upper bearing are ok. Just need to inspect that lower bearing and the input shaft bearings. Guessing I need to disassemble the input shaft bearing pack for inspection (that makes it a bigger project, esp since I'll need to get a dial torque wrench most likely). Either way, this is going on the way back burner for now.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Getting closer. Took apart the trim pump motor. Didn't look terrible until I got to the brushes, which were corroded in place. Back together, connections cleaned, trim now working. Steering was a bit tight but loosened up with a bit of grease. Alternator still not working, guess I shouldn't be surprised about that. I'll put in a spare tomorrow, and hopefully can get on the water. Today was a *perfect* boating day 😥

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your steering cable will get worse.

achris

Best thing for steering cables isn't grease, it's a grease and oil mix.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Best thing for steering cables isn't grease, it's a grease and oil mix.
I didn't take the cable off, just greased the ram. It really wasn't bad, not frozen just... Noticeable. Tough access back there, we have a spare cable on deck if need be. *completely stripping donor boat FTW*

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Swapped out the alternator today, so yeah, they don't like being dunked either. Ready to splash, windy and cloudy today though. I need to get my boat lift back together after the storm. Some wiring got ripped out, I need to install a positive stop on/off rotary switch to prevent this from happening again, but looks like I should be able to get it working soon. Also lost my mooring, but was able to find the anchor. Also need to move 20 tons of dirt (by hand?) before I can rebuild the skiff ramp and launch that. I'll tell you, having fun is a lot of work.

One dumb question: This is the first time I've had a coupler with a grease zerk. Went to grease it today, and realized I can't tell when it's full. 5 pumps seemed like a lot, there was no resistance, and I couldn't see any overflow. I assume excess grease ends up in the bellows?

flashback

Captain
I don't see how grease from the coupler could get past the gimbal bearing and into the bellows.

flashback

Captain
I've followed both your threads and you have my admiration regarding the catastrophe your dealing with.

I believe the excess grease would end up in the bilge. I have a coupler like that but darn near impossible to get to.

Scott06

Admiral
I assume excess grease ends up in the bellows?
no i think there is a cavity in front of the driveshaft in the coupler. Will not end up in bellows. I usually give mine 3-4 pumps in the fall was still greased when i removed the drive

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I shoot 4-5 full shots of grease into mine each year, too. Not sure where the excess goes, though... I never see it in the boat.