Boat stringer size.

Maddj75

Recruit
I have an older boat, 1993 Falcon 1800br. Started to replace the floor when I noticed that my stringers are water logged and falling apart. I noticed that they are only 3/4" thick. My question is should I keep them the same thickness or double the thickness. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Tanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

3/4" will be fine.
Too many People live by; if Enough is Good, More is Better, and Too Much is just Right

I will assume you are using Plywood for the Stringers as it will resist Twisting and/or Warping. Just make sure to use Wood with Water Proof Glue and then make sure to saturate the wood with Resin, prior to use

Last edited:

Maddj75

Recruit
Thanks, I had planned on using some 1708 on them prior to glassing them into the hull itself.

Last edited:

todhunter

Canoeist
Stay with 3/4". It's lasted 30 years (probably longer than it was intended to) and you don't want to add unnecessary weight.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Acx,bcx,cdx exterior grade plywood only. Noto to be confused with treated lumber. Acx being the premium of ply then there are the marine grade plys etc. Price just gets uppity. Wet it out like a pig and do all cut edges. I think its tagged 5/8".
Thats it, all you need.