Boat slammed into reverse going 30mph??????

tripc

Seaman Apprentice
I was out at the lake yesterday ..Perfect day!!! I let me friend drive the boat back to the dock..Did not make it that far ..I asked him to slow down so I could get a beer and when he did he pushed the safety button and went to reverse going 30mph... The boat shut of isntantly and started to get real hott... It would not crank back on..It just went clunk.. Sound kinda like a dead battery.. So i switched battaries and nothing....Same thing.. I let the boat cool off as my friend towed us in and the only thing I get is a load whinning noise when I try to start it now... It sounds like the starter is just spinning... When we got back to the dock and I lifted it up i put the drive in forward and reverse and the prop just spun with no resistance....

What have I done?? 2002 chaparral with a 6.2 bravo 3 in it....

HELP.... Would a extended warranty cover this??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat slammed into reverse going 30mph??????

Would a extended warranty cover this??

No, it doesn't cover operator error.

First thing I would do is pull the spark plugs out and see if it will crank over. May have water in the cylinders from the instant stop and waves from the stern.
If it still won't turn over, pull the drive and see if the engjine will crank over.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Extended warranties rarely cover abuse and if ever there was abuse, you experienced it. There are lots of things that could be wrong both with the drive and the engine. Coupler, drive shaft, lower unit gear set or drive shaft to name just a few. As for the engine -- hard to say from your description. Could be hydrolocked from injesting water as it tried to run backwards for even an instant. Another lesson learned. Do not allow someone who does not know how to operate a boat -- operate your boat.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I'd pull the drive... i bet your cone clutch and everything south of it is extra toast... the burnt dry kind... the kind of toast they serve you in prison.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

sorry to hear that happened. sounds like it could be expensive. a too bad end for an otherwise fun outting. murphies law, if it can, it will....

hope it repairs easily...

regards
lakester :cool:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Off topic... but ya gotta love DTS (digital throttle and shift).... at least you can't do that, not even on purpose.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so I could get a beer

Make sure you include THIS part of the story when you try to get the company to cover it under warranty.....I'm sure they'll cut you some slack.

Has your buddy ever driven a car? a bicycle? a scooter? NOTHING is supposed to go into reverse or even fast to neutral. Even for a first time boat driver that's not a natural response to "slow down". Tell the truth - how many beers had HE had?

Cptkid570

Ensign

You could file a claim with your boat insurance if you have insurance on the boat. It could possibly be covered.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I asked him to slow down so I could get a beer....

Here lies the root of your problem. Should I remind you that it is illegal to drink and drive....that includes on the water not just land.

Don't want to try to give you an ethics lesson, you're an adult and can make your own decisions but I reiterate the previous comment, make sure that you let the adjuster know that alcohol was involved in your mishap.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Here lies the root of your problem. Should I remind you that it is illegal to drink and drive....that includes on the water not just land.

Don't want to try to give you an ethics lesson, you're an adult and can make your own decisions but I reiterate the previous comment, make sure that you let the adjuster know that alcohol was involved in your mishap.

Well i wasnt driving ..In the state of Texas as long as your not operating the vehicle I guess you can drink..HAHA....

Its not his fault ..Its mine becasue he said that he did not know how to drive a boat... So I guess I should have giving a crash course before I let him..

Ohwell.. Crap happens..Lets hope the drive is not fried!!

Robj

Lieutenant

I guess it depends on where you live. It is not illegal to drink and drive, I do it all the time. You are making the assumption that he may have been impaired or drunk, which may or may not be the case. Being impaired while operating a boat is illegal, but having a beer, and being under the legal limit is not, at least where I live. Regarding impaired operation of a boat, the same rules apply as with a car. You can have a glass of wine or a beer and still drive home safely and legally.

I look at this incident as someone who made a mistake and give him the benefit of the doubt that they are responsible boaters and were not impaired. I can see a rookie boater making this mistake.

Regarding your problem, I would pull the plugs and then try turning it over. Most likely there is water in the cylinders and it is hydrolocked. See if you can get it started and go from there.

Good luck and have a great day,

Rob.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

..I asked him to slow down so I could [snip] and when he did he pushed the safety button and went to reverse going 30mph... The boat shut of isntantly and started to get real hot...

hello,

just wondering... :confused: since my boat dont have one... what is a safety button? what does it do? why did the engine instantly shut off? and why did it get so hot? did the nwb driver have to do it consciously, or was it an accident as he retarded throttle??

wondering...

regards
lakester :cool:

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not that we all don't love your condemnation. But should I remind you being a Florida Resident and Pursuant to Florida statute 327.35 it is not illegal to drive a vessel while drinking. It is only illegal to drive while intoxicated. You may have as many cold big boy beverages as you wish, if you do so responsibly on the water.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Once you have your boat looked at, reply so we can know what actually happened...I am intrigued on what actaully did happen(kind of like watching a car accident). It seems here if someone makes a post about having a beer on the boat....you get slammed for being a drunk on the lake, at least thats the way I read it. He never said he was trashed, he said he was grabbing a beer, some people can have one or two on the lake with out getting sloshed. Why not ask him before beating him down like a red headed step child first to see if he was drunk. It sounds like he did the right thing by letting someone else drive (IF he was drunk) although, next time it would be better to give the keys to someone who knew a little more about boating, but u said it was an accident.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

hello,

just wondering... :confused: since my boat dont have one... what is a safety button? what does it do? why did the engine instantly shut off? and why did it get so hot? did the nwb driver have to do it consciously, or was it an accident as he retarded throttle??

It's a button that requires you to push it to engage forward or reverse, once you're in neutral. The idea is that it prevents things like this - going from one gear to the opposite, without at least squeezing the button...
IT can be up in the "T" handle of the throttle.

On my boat, I've got separate controls for throttle and gear. IF I'm past about 1/8th throttle, it won't allow me to go into gear.

Safety thing either way.

Don't know why it got hot, but it was probably just registering heat soak if he immediately shut it down and couldn't restart.

Sounds bad if the starter won't even engage at this point... Disassembly will tell though.

Robj

Lieutenant

It seems here if someone makes a post about having a beer on the boat....you get slammed for being a drunk on the lake, at least thats the way I read it. He never he was trashed, he said he was grabbing a beer, some people can have one or two on the lake with out getting sloshed. Why not ask him before beating him down like a red headed step child first to see if he was drunk. It sounds like he did the right thing by letting someone else drive (IF he was drunk).

I totally agree. Lets get this thread back on track.

Have a great day,

Rob.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

I totally agree. Lets get this thread back on track.

Have a great day,

Rob.

9 out of 10 people on this board have a couple of beers when there at the lake..No matter what anybody says................

That is part of boating I think.. Kick back listen to some music and relax....

Not worries here tho.. I wasnt drunk..I was just tired of driving...

Lets hope its nothing to major ,but I dont think I will be that lucky..
Lesson learned..haha;)

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am part of your 90th percentile,suks you post one of your 1st posts asking for help and get a misinformed informed/untrue lecture about the legal aspects of drinking beer. I hope it is not too bad and like some others have said , please post results.

9 out of 10 people on this board have a couple of beers when there at the lake..No matter what anybody says................

That is part of boating I think.. Kick back listen to some music and relax....

Not worries here tho.. I wasnt drunk..I was just tired of driving...

Lets hope its nothing to major ,but I dont think I will be that lucky..
Lesson learned..haha;)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It seems here if someone makes a post about having a beer on the boat....you get slammed for being a drunk on the lake
Well,

The real problem is when you get slammed INTO by someone who was having fun having a couple of beers, while minding your own business on the lake....

I hate when that happens....and just because of the sheer numbers, it's happening more often......so often that my local lake has a Co sheriff who checks all boats before letting them on the lake, FOR ALCOHOL.

Now back to the problem.,......Assuming you're lucky and didn't break anything REALLY expensive, you might want to get yourself a new throttle/shift quadrant that has a neutral safety etc.

I used one of these http://www.tackletogo.com/techsimolele.html

It works great and you would have to really work at it to go from forward to reverse quickly.

Cheers,

Rick

soler

Seaman Apprentice

Dude, I hope you get out of this as cheap as possible.

If you haven't already, do as others have said and pull plugs looking for water. When you say it got hot, what do you mean? Did you hear steam? Did the gage read hot? When you opened the engine compartment, was there extra heat coming out than you're used to? The fact that it shut off isn't a big deal in and of itself. Cars with autos will do the same if they are put in reverse when in motion (forward). Don't ask how I know this. Okay, how do I know this? I did it when I was a punk teenager driving the Olds station wagon. But, it started right up again, although that might be why the tranny went out not long thereafter.

So, the heat thing has me puzzled. But you may have done a few things in the drive:
bent driveshaft...not likely but possible.
thrashed gears...possible and probable
bent or busted u-joints in the drive shaft.
Any of these could prevent the engine from cranking, depending on how far up the damage went.

Define what you mean by it got hot. That has my puzzled. As others have said, keep us posted on the outcome.

SOLER