boat riding sideways

traben

Cadet
my boat rides on its side its a91 glasstream 180 Se v bottom with a 3.0 mercruiser... i can correct this with steering but just wondering if this is norma?l new to driving v bottoms

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat riding sideways

Sounds to me like she's leaning a bit.
Easiest/quickest fix is to simply move some weight around until she rides level.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

perhaps adjusting the anode above the prop with the fin on it might assist. This will help with stearing corrections required due to the naturale desire of the prop rotation to turn you boat.

Not sure if this is the long term correction but may help some.

Splat

Lieutenant

It's prolly normal but let's do it the right way anyways.... what way is it leaning port/starboard? Does it only happen while underway, or does it have a list while sitting idle at the dock? Does the steering wheel pull in one direction or the other?

Bill

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Leaning is usually caused by prop torque; standard rotation may lean to port.
That why the helm is usually on the right "starboard"side.
If the boat is a deep V it may be more noticeable also if steering into the wind it may lean toward the wind.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

How bad is this lean? My boat did this when I first got it. The lean was enought to scare me and the only way to make it stop was to get out of the throttle.

I took the whale tale off the motor(the previous owner had put it on) and have never had a problem since.

The only thing that will make mine ride off center now is weight distribution. I sometimes have to have assigned seating depending on the weight of my passengers.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Leaning is usually caused by prop torque; standard rotation may lean to port.
That why the helm is usually on the right "starboard"side.
If the boat is a deep V it may be more noticeable also if steering into the wind it may lean toward the wind.

You know... I never knew this. I always wondered why (most) boats were right hand drive, but never really wondered enough to put forth the effort to ask. Thanks for that. :D

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You know... I never knew this. I always wondered why (most) boats were right hand drive, but never really wondered enough to put forth the effort to ask. Thanks for that. :D

If this were true, LH rotation prop boats would have the wheel on the port.

My guess is this guys boat has an imbalanced load. My 16' Starcraft leans a little to the right with my 260 in the seat. With just me, it leans a little to the right....not a lot, a little. The steering doesn't pull at all.....the trim tab will not correct a list or lean in the boat.....the trim tab counters the props tendency to turn the outdrive.

The driver being on the right has more to do with navigation rules....when you have a boat comming at you from the starboard bow, you are the give way vessel and they are the stand on vessel.....in small boats putting the driver on the starboard side gives you more visibility to this situation.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

If this were true, LH rotation prop boats would have the wheel on the port.

My guess is this guys boat has an imbalanced load. My 16' Starcraft leans a little to the right with my 260 in the seat. With just me, it leans a little to the right....not a lot, a little. The steering doesn't pull at all.....the trim tab will not correct a list or lean in the boat.....the trim tab counters the props tendency to turn the outdrive.

The driver being on the right has more to do with navigation rules....when you have a boat comming at you from the starboard bow, you are the give way vessel and they are the stand on vessel.....in small boats putting the driver on the starboard side gives you more visibility to this situation.

That works too. Thanks!

traben

Cadet

it doesnt lean any particular way left or right i just had to work at keeping it balanced... guess i just need to learn to drive it...yeah scared the crap outta me and especially my wife...i was used to driving a 16' tri hull it stayed level all the time.. so i guess i was just wondering if it was normal to have to work the steering to keep it level..it doesnt pull to one side or the other that i could tell....im relatively new to boating.. so any info would be appreciated:)

traben

Cadet

(update) i had to learn to trim the boat up out of the water