Boat restoration. Foam or no foam??

Razzor1772

Recruit
Hi all,

I am new here and I have a question on regards to the foam in my 1983 Glasco bass boat. I am cutting out the floor this weekend and the buoyancy foam is fiberglass right to the floor. I think I am just going to take the foam out all together. My question is, do I need to replace it? Can I just remove it and forget about it? If I do need to replace it what should I use? Blocks? Should I fiberglass over it again after I install it? Or, should I just leave it in and try to cut around it? You guys get the idea. LOL. Any advice would be great.
This is my Grandfathers boat that was given to me. It had been outside in the elements, uncovered for over 6 years. If it were not part of the family, I would not have taken on this project. I have added a link to a few pics to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Thanks in advance and happy fishing!!!!

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/Razzor1772/Boat Restoration Current/?albumview=slideshow

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat restoration. Foam or no foam??

Welcome to iboats.

In some boats the foam is a part of the structure and gives the boat a good bit of its strength and others not.

I pulled the foam out of mine and never replaced BUT my boat is trailered so if it is in the water I am on it and I fish a river so I am never more than 100 yards from shore and it is aluminum.

I also doubled up on bilge pumps and the secondary has an alarm on it so if it kicks on you and everyone within a 100 yards knows it, I have a 500gph for rain water and a 1100 gph if something goes really wrong

If your boat sits in the water all the time foam is almost mandatory, alot of guys use the sheet foam becuase it is cheap and is really easy to install, if you go to or this is moved to the resto forum the guys there will know what is best to use and how much you need.

In the end it is your boat and it is up to you and it depends how and where you use your boat.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Restoration - foam or no foam???

USCG says you need flotation, and a good idea in general. So, probably replace it, if it is no good any more.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do it right......... replace the flotation for safety.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read this. It's a bit of an eye opener. This boat didn't hit anything or forget their plug or anything else. This happend from WAVE action.

http://www.ohiobass.org/StateTournaments/Erie/Erie.htm

Flotation makes this happen, and without the boat would head for the bottom.
PIC-1.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

I have a 22 foot sea ray that I restored, and I had the same delima. I put the foam back in and I am glad I did. The boat is just super stiff and quiet on the water compared to may last boat that did not have floatation. If you build it right, you will not have to worry about water intrusion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do not post the same question in multiple forum sections.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

The foam is sometimes also used for structural reasons. So that being said I vote to put it back in. If you read Oops thread he has an idea to encompass the foam in plastic to help seal it from the water intrusion (just extra protection) that I am thinking of using when I put the foam back in my boat. Basically he said to lay in some thick mil plastic in the cavity with a piece of pvc under it to form a drain back to the bilge incase of water intrusion in the hull. then pour in your foam and cover with another sheet of plastic and then cover with the wood flooring once its done expanding then remove the floor and pull the entire section of foam and plastic out together then remove the pvc and replace the plastic. I would seal the edges of the plastic and cut off the excess as well. This will still give you your floatation and structure while giving you an extra barrier to the foam and making repairs easier because you can remove all the foam without damaging it. When I get to that point in my rebuild I will make sure to detail it with many pictures and videos.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there is much depate about foam here....

some replace it,,,,some dont......its your call, its your boat.

my OPINION is. i like the stuff.

here is why.
yes it gives safety
yes it gives sound proofing
yes it gives structure.

what is not talked about much....is it acts like a patch !

lets just say you whack a rock or log at 40 mph and you penetrate the hull.

the foam behind the hole....will act as a barrier, stopping water form flooding in. kinda like a kid with his finger in a dyke.
chances are, you wont even notice that you have damaged your boat till you are back on the trailer.

with out foam.....its a real panic, to get the pumps working, the bailing buckets out....and get in to the closest point of land before the whole ship disappears under the waves. leaving you bobbing for air and doing a head count !!!!

Put foam back in. I'm in the same process and I will be using 2 part closed cell. The extra cost is about a $100 for my project (16' boat) and a little extra work, but in the end I will feel alot better knowing its there.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I too am in the replace it camp. Mostly for saftey reasons.

I don't know what part of the world you are in or which waters you fish but up here were the water turns hard every year I would certainly advise having it. I fish right up to iced over or as soon as ice out and it's well know how long the servival rate is in water below 40 degrees, even 70 degrees can be deadly. At that temp even making it to shore 100' away may be impossible in a river. Besides it's always safest to stay with the boat which you can't do if it's under water.

I'd rather see some one spend the money and be safe than have to face the unexpected and be lost!

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I copied this from my earlier post: If you do pour in or spray in foam, you can install a "drain" along the keel. This will keep your foam from getting waterlogged. I did this with PVC pipe. I cut it long-ways to make a half circle. Then I drilled it full of holes. Place it inside along the keel - then cover it with paper mache. The foam(s) are solvent based, so they won't go through the hardened paper mache, thus the drain pipe won't get clogged with foam. Water however, will dissolve the paper mache so you end up with an area for any water in the foam to drain out at the lowest point. My foam is water-free.

I agree with the posts regarding safety. Also, do you want a $3K motor sinking to the bottom of a lake when inexpensive foam could prevent it?

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I copied this from my earlier post: If you do pour in or spray in foam, you can install a "drain" along the keel. This will keep your foam from getting waterlogged. I did this with PVC pipe. I cut it long-ways to make a half circle. Then I drilled it full of holes. Place it inside along the keel - then cover it with paper mache. The foam(s) are solvent based, so they won't go through the hardened paper mache, thus the drain pipe won't get clogged with foam. Water however, will dissolve the paper mache so you end up with an area for any water in the foam to drain out at the lowest point. My foam is water-free.

I agree with the posts regarding safety. Also, do you want a $3K motor sinking to the bottom of a lake when inexpensive foam could prevent it?

tboyd I love the paper mache idea I was thinking along the same lines initially just couldn't figure out the best way to keep the foam from filling up the tube. Hence my decision to try Oops idea of wrapping all the foam in plastic.