Boat ramp, RANT!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat ramp, RANT!

Sorry, left off email addy:<br />bomar76@hotmail.com

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well had mine today.<br />My local lake has one of it's ramps that is 4 or 5 boat wide and today when I got there, and after getting my boat ready to launch, it must have been time for #1 boyfriend to teach #1 girlfriend how to back a, what looked like a 24 or 30 CC down the ramp for her first time.<br /><br />Now this is at 11 this morning and getting quite busy.<br /><br />Needless to say, she took up the whole ramp while he is in boat shouting out directions, which she in turn, did the complete opposite.<br /><br />I rolled my windows up and turned the a/c on and looked at my watch.<br /><br />I sit there 23 minutes watching her have this Ford Explorer and boat all over the ramp, him hanging over the side shouting and her turning the wheel the other way.<br /><br />Finally, he has her pull out and he gets out of the boat and gets in the truck and backs it in.<br /><br />Whoops. He forgot he had unhooked it from the front.<br />Yep, you guessed it.<br />Away it floats.<br /><br />Well, he hits the water and retrieves it.<br />By this time, I am not alone waiting to launch.<br />We now have 8 other boats waiting.<br /><br />He gets the boat and drags it over to the side and ties it up and then goes park and runs real fast back to the boat and gets in and heads off.<br /><br />Man, wish I had the video camera with me.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by BinLurkin:<br /> Dogsdad sounds like he lives in Californee. Except for #8. What are we supposed to do with our trailers & baots? Unhook them before we gas up in case someone comes in for gas behind us? He has credibility until he comes to #8.
BinLurkin, I gas up pulling my boat often. I just happen to do so thoughtfully so that I do not block other folks' access to the pumps!<br /><br /><br /> ;) <br /><br /><br />-dd-

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

life's way too short y'all.<br />take flatheads advice above and don't sweat the <br />small stuff.<br />back to the topic now...<br />every year more and more folks move from upstate<br />for warmer climes and every year there are less<br />boats on the water and less folks at the ramp.<br />works for me :)

one more cast

Captain

wait til this globel warming thing kicks in MY, then all the southeners will be moving up here.It might be kicking in already, yesterday it actually hit the upper 70's. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br />every year more and more folks move from upstate<br />for warmer climes and every year there are less<br />boats on the water and less folks at the ramp.<br />works for me :)
Sounds like something for the GNN forum :D :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ya SBN, but they all move to florida where they're not wanted...... BAD NEWS!!!! :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Ya SBN, but they all move to florida where they're not wanted...... BAD NEWS!!!! :p
That's true, I'm sorry and I'll shut up now. :p

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

just goes to show ya, it's all about perspective.<br />and on top of it I have lake erie (1hr) lake ontario (15min)<br />fingerlakes (1hr) and about another hundred to<br />choose from. one NY'er who will never bug u<br />snapper ;)

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I've used a lot of boat ramps here in SC and have only been held up at the ramp by stupidity or rudeness a few times. Some guy actually apologized to me a couple of weeks ago and offered to help me launch since I was alone. I grew up with the SC "I'll kick your a**" mentality. It sure gets tiresome ... no wonder we're stereotyped in movies and books. I'm glad that I spent most of my adult years away and learned that confrontation over every little thing that isn't to my likeing isn't the way that normal people act. Hopefully I've mellowed a bit in my old age.... my wife says "yeah right" but I can see that I have. Have a great 4th everyone.. have fun and be safe..

salty87

Commander

i try to enjoy the show while it lasts. i know that by the time it's over and i'm back to myself, my crew, and my boat the drama will be gone. there's no room on my boat for drama.<br /><br />all the ramps i go to are small, neighborhood 1 lane'ers. more of a chance of knowing people there and you get the chance to hear all the details firsthand. without the big crowd there isn't as much of a hurry and nobody to show-off for.<br /><br />i couldn't imagine launching at a ramp with 6 lanes of weekend warriors. i guess everyone is in a hurry to get the he!! outta there.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Personally,<br /><br />If a guy was having a bad time trying to teach his girlfriend how to drive and back up a trailer, I would sit back and laugh quietly, cuz what he is attempting to do is impossible to do alone, without an audience. <br /><br />Having tried this in the past I feel sorry for the guy. Some men and many women simply can't or won't dedicate the time it takes to be proficient in handling their rigs. This guy was probably way beyond the boiling point inside, and so much as a dirty look could have this guy go postal for no apparent reason, I would have ignored him as well. :p

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Ooooohhhhh---looks like a bit of heavy editing has taken place here. The mods (my money's on JB) are truly merciful. ;) <br /><br /><br />-dd-

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Speaking of ramp follies, here is a thought that comes to my mind. I have not owned a boat very long, but I have been around boats in the past and I feel like I have a great deal of common sense. When someone is ignorant of the "General Ramp Rules", it is okay! They are learning and just need to be educated. The unfortunate part, is unless it is an offender that you have seen over and over again, you never know who needs educated, or who will tell you in no uncertain terms to jump off the nearest bridge and wants to cause a scene.<br /><br />I can have patients with someone who will take helpfull advice to make his launching go easier and quicker for everyone. But the Meat Heads that are brand new to boating, but think they know it all already are the ones that I would rather not see at all. They are a product of the "All for Myself World" that seems to plague our nation.<br /><br />To all that like to help, my hats off to ya!!!<br />To those that fall in catagory no. 2, take a course in anger management.

f_inscreenname

Commander

After today I have a new one to tell. I was out by myself today and around 7pm it was time to go home. Got to the ramp and when I was on my way up to get my truck and trailer when I noticed the guy in the next lane was trying back down the ramp without having much luck. Not my problem off I go. Get truck back down ramp, get boat on trailer and notice man can not get the cable released so he can back boat off trailer (electric winch, broken, using manual hand crank). Now there is a line waiting so I jump over to see if I can help out. I got the cable out far enough to release the hook from the bow eye but the boat didn't move. Man jumps up on truck tail gate puts both feet on bow and pushes as hard as he can. Pop!! stern tie down strap flies off and almost hit woman on dock (supposedly holding boat lines) Boat is now coming off trailer at warp speed. Woman on dock drops bow line and boat starts swinging toward my boat and I am sprinting to stop the collision. Get there and stop it. Push there boat back over to there side of the dock and go on my way. Get to the parking and stop to get boat ready for drive home. The man comes over after parking his rig and thanks me for the help and then comes the best part. He says “Bought the boat three weeks ago (his first) and was taking it out two week ago. Left drain plug out and nearly sank it. Bails it out and cant get it started. Takes it home and buys a manual (his first for a outboard) and gets it running somehow. Tonight will be my first test drive”. This is a guy that cant get his boat off the trailer in the daylight, broke down a week ago. I hope they made it back.