Boat ramp, RANT!

LubeDude

Admiral
Last eving after fishing with the wife, I pulled up to the dock, tied up and went to get the truck and trailer. (Knowone else around). There are 4, (FOUR) ramps at this dock. While I am up getting the truck, a guy with a nice Bass Boat, Pick-up and camper pulls right up in front of my boat were I was going to load, and proceads to unstrap his boat and prepare to launch it. There is an adaquate place to unstrap your boat also before you get to the launching area. I would have had my boat pulled out before he got his boat unstrapped.<br /><br />Man, the nerve of some people. I wanted to just back my trailer around him and down the ramp, but being the (nice) guy that I am, I just backed it next to him. Had I been 10 years younger, this guy would have gone fishing wet!!! :mad: :mad:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat ramp, RANT!

I know.... :cool: If I had a nickel for every time I've encountered one of them boat ramp fools, well, I'd have a bunch of nickels... :p <br /><br /> Makes one wonder if it's a lack of common sense, arrogance, or what?... I dunno... :confused:

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember, there will always be stupid/rude/ignorant people around and those who just lack good old common senese. Take pity, one day it will catch up to them. <br /><br />BTW - I have found the boat ramp is always good for a laugh or two.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yeah just let em be jerks and get a laugh out of them. Last time out I had some fools playing around on the ramp for better than half an hour. I could not get out of the water so I continued to fish, Caught my biggest of the day then. So being patiant pays off sometimes. :cool: <br /><br />I dont angry at these fools much anymore, I just let it be a source of entertainment ;)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I sit at the ramp alot after I pull the boat...sometimes it's almost as much fun as the fishing...as Flathead said it's great entertainment...don't take 'em too seriously, most these folks just don't know what to do... :D

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was ready to launch and a guy came up and said did I mind him going first. The wife said yes (who was I to argue), under 2 mins later im in and cleared the slip. He then took 15 mins to get his boat out. <br /><br />P.S Whats it like to have 4 boat slips never seen more than one!

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

My boat is slipped at the cottage for the whole season but when I'm bored at about 5 pm I like to go over to the boat ramp with a coffee and sit there and watch the festivities. Good days are those that are nice and sunny around mid July when everyone is getting there boats in.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Bet I have had a BS experience at least 50% of the time. Two good things: <br /><br />1) I tip the ramp attendant, (I almost always get a place to park)<br /><br />2) Those who upset me are usually the ones that will be pulled over, ticketed, damage their boat in some way that causes a loud scream, or require a tow.<br /><br />Entertainment like this is hard to find

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> Entertainment like this is hard to find
I Have seen so many things at boat ramps, I know that if I could have vidioed them I could make a fortune. Some of them I did myself.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I take a small DV camera with me to record 'events' as they unfold durring my excursions. When I am stuck at the ramp to suffer the antics of the inconsiderate or uneducated boater, I whip the little DVR out,and start filming them. Sometimes they get mad and confrontational, sometimes they get this baffled look on thier faces,as thier eyes glaze-over even more so than they were staring at thier transom-saver.<br />At minimum, it gets them thinking about what made them a subject interesting enough for video, and once you get them thinking, you are that much safer being in the same body of water they just launched into....but if it doesn't. I allways have the tow rope ready :rolleyes:

BrianFD

BuckeyeBoater, where do you boat? I'm at Buckeye Lake a lot... plan on going out to the fireworks Sunday if the weather cooperates. Would like to face-to-face w/ya sometime, if you'd like.<br /><br />Lubedude, best I can tell you is count to ten and remind yourself that there, but for the grace of God, goes somebody eligible to win a Darwin award. He'll cross the wrong young buck in time and will get his 'come-uppance', or worse.<br />Like some others, I sometimes like to stay and watch the ramp antics. Some are downright funny, others pitiful, and some (like me) are 'experts', hehehe. Seems that no one can _____ (drive, boat, load, unload... you fill in the blank) better than you and me.<br />Reminds me of one particular busy day at the ramp, I was backed down waiting for my wife to pull up on the trailer, and on the opposite side, a newbie pulls past the courtesy dock and ties up to the ramp dock. He jumps out and heads for his tow vehicle. As he was passing, I said, "You surely aren't going to tie up the ramp, are you?" He replied, "Well, yes." I pointed to the line of those waiting for the ramp, some with boats and some with empty trailers. "Do you see that line?", I asked. "Yeah", he said. "Well, if you tie up that ramp, those guys are gonna KILL YOU.", I said, serious as a heart attack. Then, I explained the procedure of tying up at the courtesy dock and pulling his vehicle around to the end of the line until it was his turn. He said, "You mean I've got to wait in THAT line?" I said, "Unless you've got a serious death-wish, then yeah."<br />Some people aren't as rude as you might think, they're just plain neophytes that don't know better.<br />Sorry this went so long....

JoeW

POINTER,<br />Boat Ramp Attendant? Never seen one of them. Here in CA it's fend for yourself. <br /><br />Chris Myers,<br />4 slips don't make any difference if there's 4 times as many boats. I've waited as long as 20 min. at a launch with 4 slips.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Iv'e put my boat in at ramps that have 6 or more places and at ramps that only have one and I'll take the ones with acess for one boat at a time. The rudest people(with the nicest boats)are at the biggest ramps(more expoiser) No common sense, never practiced backing a trailer, etc.but yet they know it all. Just for the record, they are also the first to loose their outdrive. I guess they can afford to.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thats why I have a seasonal slip. Has taken a lot of stress off. I've been doing some filiming of the antics at the ramp near my slip. Nothing real funny yet, but amusing. <br /><br />Last year at the fire works on the lake, we were headed back to my slip. In front of us was this little jon boat with a little loud outboard on it. The girl sitting in front was saying "Hurry up! I gotta go pee! About 50 yards out I see that they were headed straight for my slip! :mad: The whole time that they were headed to the dock, they didn't look behind them. I waited till they were about 20 yards away and got on the PA with it turned up all the way! :D I hollered out "I hope your not docking in my spot!" The driver turned around, looked up and moved real quick out of the way. It seems I scared them big time. Oh, by the way, she didn't make it to the dock to pee!<br />We still laugh when we talk about the girl that didn't make it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I've waited for 10 minutes cause one slip was full with some guy running his motor on the trailer for no reason at all. All the same time him loading all the stuff from truck to boat. The other slip was full with some guys broken boat, just left it there. There was plenty of room on the other side of the dock for him to tie it up, but I guess it would have taken some thought to move it out of the way.<br /><br />Another day, some idiot loaded his boat on the trailer, then let the engine idle for 10 minutes while he talked to his buddy. My dad was in the truck, I was circling in the boat. He dint even care.<br /><br />But, on every occasion, I didnt even get slightly upset. Not worth it on these idiots.<br /><br />Ken

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I'd swear I've seen all these people before. I've seen them:<br /><br />1. driving 45 mph in the fast lane on the Interstate.<br />2. stop their grocery cart right in the middle of a crowded aisle and stare off into space.<br />3. wait for the grocery checker to tell them the total before they even bother to get their checkbook out.<br />4. pulling their 18-wheelers up to red lights, three abreast on busy boulevards.<br />5. park their cars so that the spaces on either side of them are not usable.<br />6. proceed through four-way stops when it is clearly not their turn.<br />7. staring off into space at four-way stops when it clearly IS their turn.<br />8. pull up to gas pumps while pulling trailers, so that they unnecessarily block access to the pumps they aren't even going to use.<br />9. pass you just in time to get to the red light first, then sit there (you guessed it) staring off into space after it turns green.<br />10. just acting like anal orifices in general.<br /><br />Unfortunately, we all have our moments, and whether or not we care to admit it, these people are US. I do like to think that I am not one of these people very often.<br /><br />Cheers!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by BrianFD:<br /> BuckeyeBoater, where do you boat? I'm at Buckeye Lake a lot... plan on going out to the fireworks Sunday if the weather cooperates. Would like to face-to-face w/ya sometime, if you'd like.<br />....
Brian, I'm on the NE side of columbus (New Albany/Johnstown area) and typically stick to Hoover Reservoir or Alum Creek. Just got MY first boat this year, although I've been boating most of my life. Yes, I wouldn't mind trying out Buckeye Lake now that I have my boat in "reliable" working order. Always nice to meet a fellow Buckeye!<br /><br />Click on my info and you can email me.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dogsdad sounds like he lives in Californee. Except for #8. What are we supposed to do with our trailers & baots? Unhook them before we gas up in case someone comes in for gas behind us? He has credibility until he comes to #8.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Brian, I'm on the NE side of columbus (New Albany/Johnstown area) and typically stick to Hoover Reservoir or Alum Creek. !<br /><br />Click on my info and you can email me. [/QB]
Always happy to meet other members!<br />We go to Alum and Erie, live just W of Delaware....