Boat newbie and a 1998 3.0L starter question

H2Con

Recruit
I'm looking to get a 1998 Glastron 195 that has a Penta 3.0L. I can get a good deal but it needs a new starter that is included installed. He removed the old one already, got the new one and got busy with other things. I have installed starters on my old cars before, is this any different? I have a atv that he wants so its a even trade or if I want the starter installed he says he wants some cash on top. I cant see giving him a few hundred more cash if I can get in there and install it in 15-20 minutes.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Boat newbie and a 1998 3.0L starter question

You need to have the seller start it and run it for you. There may be other issues that caused the starter to fail.

fishrdan

Admiral

You need to have the seller start it and run it for you. There may be other issues that caused the starter to fail.

^^^ X2

There are LOTS of issues that boat could have, that you won't have a clue about unless the engine is running. If I were serious about buying the boat, and the guy all ready has the new starter, I'd bolt it on and see how the engine runs and drive works. It needs to be done sooner or later anyway...

H2Con

Recruit

He said the last few times he had it out the starter needed to be hit with a hammer to get it to work. He also said that if there was a problem other than the starter that he wouldn't have had me come to his house to look at it. He would have met me somewhere with it. He also said if I had a problem with it, after I installed the starter to bring it back to his house and he would make it right. Trade back or whatever the case. He is a Honda mechanic. The boat has 356hrs on it and has some seats that have some split seems. Trailer has a new axle and bearing buddies installed. I was asking $3400 for my atv. Here are some pics before it was all cleaned up and polished. There is a new stainless prop in it now.

photo6.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To many people get burned by listening to what the seller tells them. If it was just a starter, he would have replaced it and not had to try to explain it away and make deals to get you to buy it.

Never believe a seller, he only want to turn your money into his.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

i fully agree with don.

the starter itself is just two bolts on the 3.0 , i also replaced one on my boat. one bolt is below the starter and goeas vertically so a little tricky because there is not much space to the hull - but not a big deal at all.

install the starter BEFORE buying and test run it. when the seller refuses it stay away from the boat.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, this is the classic trap that many new boaters fall into.

"The guy said it only needs ____ " . . . "I was told _____ ", etc.

How many basketball players give up on a slam dunk when it is there for the taking ? So, the seller would have put the starter in, if that was all that was needed.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BEFORE you buy it insist on a water test!

H2Con

Recruit

Thanks everyone for the advice. As I said I'm a newbie in the boat buyer/owner world. I have driven a bunch, but never had to do any work or take care of one. I'm going to tell him it must have the starter installed and be running if he wants a deal. I would even give him a couple hundred for that and a wheeling/buff job. He showed my a jet ski that was dull and nasty that he wet sanded and polished up. He had only half of it done and the difference was amazing.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

when he is an experienced mechanic it sounds even more odd because it really takes no more than 15-20 minutes for the starter when you know what to do.

the boat has another problems or he wants to polish the deal in his direction making a big deal of installing a starter when he sees you are a newbie.

do you know what to look for when you test it in the water ?