Exhaust tube for Volvo SX Drive?

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
I have a OMC/Volvo HU joint venture SX drive. (What an alphabet soup:)). I need to replace the exhaust bellows due to mine being torn pretty badly. Does anyone make a tube I could use instead of a bellows? Would a Mercruiser tube fit? I've seen posts on this forum recommeding using a tube for Mercruiser apps, but haven't seen one for the Volvo.

Thanks
Sparky

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Exhaust tube for Volvo SX Drive?

there is no tube for a VP. Just get the right parts, and enjoy the next few summers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

there is no tube for a VP. Just get the right parts, and enjoy the next few summers.
My brother has one on his 2000 Duo Prop. Not sure its stock or not.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why would you want to use the tube to begin with? The tube was originally designed to use on the big blocks to lessen the exhaust restriction. Then users found it was easier to use the tube than to try to install the bellows on the bellhousing of the Mercruiser drives without taking the shift shaft apart and having a special tool. The SX drives do not suffer from that problem, they slip in easily and a simple snap ring holds them in place. No muss, no fuss. But you seem to be trying to make some big deal out of trying to use the Merc tube on a Volvo........ WHY???????
Do you just like to change things for no apparent reason?

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Why would you want to use the tube to begin with?
The tube was originally designed to use on the big blocks to lessen the exhaust restriction. Then users found it was easier to use the tube than to try to install the bellows on the bellhousing of the Mercruiser drives without taking the shift shaft apart and having a special tool. The SX drives do not suffer from that problem, they slip in easily and a simple snap ring holds them in place. No muss, no fuss. But you seem to be trying to make some big deal out of trying to use the Merc tube on a Volvo........ WHY???????

Thanks for the info, Don.

Why would you want to use the tube to begin with?

From all I've read about exhaust tube bellows, they are a bear to change out and the tube is MUCH easier. As I stated in the original post, this is with the Mercs, and I just ASSUMED it would be the same on the VP. MY BAD for assuming that.

The SX drives do not suffer from that problem, they slip in easily and a simple snap ring holds them in place. No muss, no fuss.

Thats good to know, and news to me. I'll order one and replace it before next season.

But you seem to be trying to make some big deal out of trying to use the Merc tube on a Volvo........ WHY???????

Not trying to make it a big deal Don. Just under a false assumption.

:confused:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

OK, so there is a tube for VP, learn something new everyday.

OP - If your exhaust bellows has deteriorated, then so has you u-joint bellows. Need to do everything at the same time - save yourself a future headache.