Boat motor mounting.

Alright on to the next question. I've already asked about putting in through bolts. As the maiden voyage this morning proved successful I no longer feel the need for the bolts.

No my next question.

When I removed the old 25 Evinrude from the transom, I noticed about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the bracket (inside the U that sits atop the transom) and the top of the transom.

What is the correct measurement for this? Moreover, is it necessary?

Thanks all. :)

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Boat motor mounting.

If you're not using through bolts, there should be no gap. It should sit directly on the transom.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

raising the motor up a Little gives you less drag and more speed I use a 3/4" piece of hard wood as a shim under the outboard bracket and that is about 3 to 4 miles faster than without the shim.

On the maiden voyage fishing. Brand new engine Suzuki DF 25. The red warning light came on after about 5 minutes of running it at mid to full throttle back and forth. This over the course of 4 to 5 hours. Stopping, fishing, idling, running at speed, stopping etc.. Dealer told me to NOT be easy on it during break-in. Though the red warning light would go out after slowing to idle for a minute or two. It's "peeing" the whole time. It almost seems as if the engine was not cooling properly. Don't know, suggestions?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

how does raising the motor the 3/4 inch affect high speed cornering?, i have captivating when i turn too sharp at high speeds

deejaycee_2000

Captain

John ... post a pic of the setup on the transom, I will be able to tell you straight away how you should run it ... think you might have a prob there ....

Here you go. Now if your looking for a wider shot, I'll need to wait a til the weather clears.

The cavitation plate is more than an inch below the bottom of the transom though it appears to be in-line or a bit below the keel's rubber "V" strike rail.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00217 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG00217 (600 x 450).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00218 (512 x 384).jpg
    IMG00218 (512 x 384).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00219 (512 x 384).jpg
    IMG00219 (512 x 384).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hi John, ok lift the motor so that the cav plate is in line with lowest point of transom, put a piece of wood between the transom plate and the transom to make up the open space .... also run it on trim 2 (go one pin higher on the trim setting)