Boat looks chalky and faded ! how do I shine her up ?

I have an 18' 1991 mariah diablo. the original decals are starting to come off and the hull has a chalky appearance. I want to remove the decals and get a gloss back on her. How do I do this inexpensively ? And can I order new decals to put on the sides? I am pretty good and figuring stuff out so just point me in the right direction.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat looks chalky and faded ! how do I shine her up ?

Do a little searching on this forum, it's been argued and discussed over and over again. Some people swear vaseline will fix it. I never tried that. I've had good luck with a 7 inch variable speed buffer and some compound.

BTW, where do you boat on Erie?

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Wow. I might be PM'ing you. I may be taking my boat up there this weekend. I usually boat on the river, but I was going to try the bay before the season is over.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Theres a few ways, depending on their condition. If they're still in decent shape, I use a heat gun or blow dryer. Warm them up and they peel right off. If they're in bad shape and won't peel, you can buy a tool to remove them. I think 3M makes it. It's like a rubber eraser you mount in a drill. It will rub them off. You can get it anywhere they sell autobody supplies. But if the finish of the boat has faded quite a bit around the decals, you'll always be able to see where they once were. Even after a pretty good buffing, I can see where the decals used to be on my boat.

Of the 2 methods, I prefer heat gun. Quick and easy. Any sticky residue left over can be cleaned off with WD-40 or buffed off.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

They also make a pinstripe stripper chemical that is safe to use on gel-coat.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Mild rubbing compound, a little mild elbow grease, followed by coat of quality wax...to get rid of the chalky appearance.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

3M boat restorer does wonders, it is a rubbing compound and wax in one.
If you don't own a buffer/polisher you can get an attachment for your electric drill cheap that works just as well.
This also hand rubs quite easily with good results.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

HI
may need a hull restorer, buffing doesnt last that long if the shine is shot.....
this Poli-Glow stuff looks awsome.....
see small video link----
http://www.poliglow-int.com/video.html

$58 online is lowest I have found HERE
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|309314|311480&id=211177

Im am looking fwd to trying it out myself.....looks like the best option for a real bad boat.......
check out these reviews of 7 products (gel coat restorers)
http://www.hurrikain.com/reviews.htm

I have no affiliation to the product.....and I Looked.... but I-boats doesnt carry the stuff...mostly shine up waxes and such.......
hope this helps!!.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

By the way, before you start ripping the decals off, try to get some good pictures of them. And measure them. Maybe even mark the measurements on the pictures. That way, if you can't get factory stickers, you can have a good sign shop cut you new ones from vinyl. In fact, you may want to go that route anyhow. Bound to be cheaper than having factory decals ordered.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

HI
may need a hull restorer, buffing doesnt last that long if the shine is shot.....
this Poli-Glow stuff looks awsome.....
see small video link----
http://www.poliglow-int.com/video.html

$58 online is lowest I have found HERE
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|309314|311480&id=211177

Im am looking fwd to trying it out myself.....looks like the best option for a real bad boat.......
check out these reviews of 7 products (gel coat restorers)
http://www.hurrikain.com/reviews.htm

I have no affiliation to the product.....and I Looked.... but I-boats doesnt carry the stuff...mostly shine up waxes and such.......
hope this helps!!.

Ive tried poliglow and it works depending on your boat color. My boat being red it didnt work that well for me. I removed it and applied Vaseline and It looks better but I dont have a long term report on vaseline. applying the poliglow took 10x longer with even more effort and I had to reapply every couple months(that part is easy).

The old polish,buff and wax should be tried first and it works for most people. If that doesnt work then move to other options.

I am not telling you to apply vaseline to your boat. Do research to see if it is for you. The positive is its quick and easy and looks good but if you decide to repaint your boat you will have to do some heavy sanding to remove it. It also needs to bake in the sun for a while and I found this the hardest part with Florida showers because I cant even uncover my boat for one day without rain.

skargo

Banned

Ive tried poliglow and it works depending on your boat color. My boat being red it didnt work that well for me. I removed it and applied Vaseline and It looks better but I dont have a long term report on vaseline. applying the poliglow took 10x longer with even more effort and I had to reapply every couple months(that part is easy).

The old polish,buff and wax should be tried first and it works for most people. If that doesnt work then move to other options.

I am not telling you to apply vaseline to your boat. Do research to see if it is for you. The positive is its quick and easy and looks good but if you decide to repaint your boat you will have to do some heavy sanding to remove it. It also needs to bake in the sun for a while and I found this the hardest part with Florida showers because I cant even uncover my boat for one day without rain.
You do NOT have to do heavy sanding to remove vaseline :rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

How do you remove it then? "insert sarcastic smiley here":rolleyes:

There is nothing additional needed to paint a boat treated with vaseline vs polish or wax.
ANY paint job needs correct prep.
Of course, before I bought my current business, I ran automobile body shops, so what do I know? :p
I recently sold my old Wellcraft to my old painter, and I told him about the Vaseline thing. He checked my boat out, and was impressed. He's going to use it on the very chalky blue on the boat I sold him for the rest of this year, and he will paint it next season.

daryn2

Recruit

guys this thread has surprised me and helped me..... i have worked at porsche for several yrs painting/repainting.....then moved and went to work at american lafrance painting new fire trucks n pumpers,,,,

well i have been using every trick i know to get rid of the dullness on my mid 80 skeeter..{rubbing compound- imperial-finness it- all with high speed buffer}

not much luck at all...

read into this thread- went to cvs at noon today and got a tub of vaseline..

2 hrsw later my boat looks like its 5 yrs old.....im highly impressed....very very happy......looks very good to me........im still shocked as i was thinking-GIMICK GIMICK GIMICK......

i consider my self a very profesional painter and airbrush artist...dont know how long the vaseline will last....but i think i just allowed my self more time to save up the proper money for a great paint job in the futer instead of this winter.....

thanks guys--IM SOLD SO FAR.....................

AND AS FAR AS REMOVAL--A GREAT PAINT JOB IS ALL IN THE PREP WORK IN MY EYES......I CANT STRESS SOLVENT CLEANING AND WIPING OVER AND OVER AND PATIENCE ENOUGH..

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I was just asking for me and anyone else what is the best way to remove the Vaseline from the boat? Would it be the same procedure as removing wax prior to painting? By suggesting sanding previously I would sand,prime and paint and doubt the Vaseline would stay after sanding and prep.

Ok, so how do you apply the vaseline ? do u buff it in with something or just rub it all over, let it sit and then wipe off ? But I cant use it on anything white? I am so confused on what to do ! and does it have to be vaseline or can i buy cheap Walmart brand stuff ?

skeeterFever

Cadet

I guess I was just asking for me and anyone else what is the best way to remove the Vaseline from the boat? Would it be the same procedure as removing wax prior to painting? By suggesting sanding previously I would sand,prime and paint and doubt the Vaseline would stay after sanding and prep.

im just giving my 02 as a painter- but tipicaly 1 would use a good product like 3m wax n grease remover....{wipe on-wipe off}......each painter has his own preferance to brand names.........but a good pre prep wipe and final prep wipe with any wax n grease remover product should suffice...}ive cleaned up some pretty nasty projects with it prior to a showroom paint job...