BOAT LIFT - please help me decide!!

lake lady 34343

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
5
I am a new pontoon owner on a lake in Ohio. I own a wet slip. My dream would be to construct a boat house but too expensive. How important is a boat lift? I don't have a trailer so I would have it in the water for the season, pulled out at the end. I do have the option of purchasing a Hewitt narrow pontoon boat lift (20 foot) - installed with electric at $3900.00. Should I buy the lift or just keep in the water?

thanks everyone for your expertise and help!
 

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
1,000
Re: BOAT LIFT - please help me decide!!

I have kept my pontoons in the water for over 25 years without a lift with no problems. While a lift and boathouse are ideal, the pontoon will survive well in the water if you keep her covered and ventilated.
 

lake lady 34343

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
5
Re: BOAT LIFT - please help me decide!!

thanks and when you say covered, you are just referring to the canvas cover I presume?
 

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Mar 16, 2010
Messages
852
Re: BOAT LIFT - please help me decide!!

You can get a new Trailer for a lot less then $3900.00 and you can tow your boat any place you want to take it. and When it comes time to sell it you will get more for it. I trailer my 24 ft'er every place I want to go.What are you going to do with it when winter comes? Mine goes to a Marina where it's high and dry.
 

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
1,895
Re: BOAT LIFT - please help me decide!!

I have kept my pontoon in a boathouse since it was new in 1985, and it's still in good condition. We're fortunate to have boathouses built on eight 4-5" steel pipes driven 3-4' into the lake bottom, and a 5" channel steel frame @ 12' above the water. I have a 10'x25' wooden pier beside the boathouse. Most people on our lake use 2800 pound $450 Ace lifts, which are sold @ Overton's. I have a pitched roof--like a garage. I imagine a boathouse like this would run $8-9K now. A contractor did the metal work, and we did the carpentry--a satisfying job.

I looked into an aluminum PWC lift last year, but they were $1100 for manual and $2K for electric. I'm going to spend less than $1K for a 5x19' addition to my boathouse.

My neighbor last year bought a $38K Harris tritoon with a Merc 150 4 stroke. He then spent $58K on a concrete topped boathouse with a concrete pier down low.

Our house is on the main lake channel, which is from 1-2 miles wide and up to 100' deep. High waves prohibit us from keeping our boats in the water. I look at a boathouse as an investment, as it allows us to keep our boats in good condition just about forever. We also use our boats all the time--much like we'd use a car.
 
Top