Boat floor material?

imported_BEN

Cadet
Hi guys! I am fixing to replace the floor in my aluminum bass boat. It currently has 1/2" wood floor with carpet. This boat has a 25 hp motor on it so the wood weighs a lot in comparison to the power of the motor. I was thinking of using aluminum or some kind of composite material or fiberglass material. Has anyone done this before? Maybe even expanded metal? let me know what ya think or if you have any information. the main concern is lossing some weight.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Boat floor material?

I've seen a few smaller flat bottom aluminum boats done with diamond plate aluminum for a deck with just paint. I think 1/8" would be fine so long as you have enough ribs to support it.
The biggest benefit is that it's easy to clean up and it will never rot. The bad part is that it can be hot in the summer and it can get slippery if some sort of traction additive isn't added to the paint.

Depending on the amount of support you have there is also a PVC product sold as artificial wood which is very light. It's a foamed PVC sheeting which comes in sheets and in dimensional lumber sizes. Its pretty costly though. ( I just priced a 4x8' sheet of 3/4" at $319).
If the design of your boat lends itself to using aluminum decking, then I'd probably go that way, you could always carpet over it or paint it to suit your needs.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat floor material?

Hi guys! I am fixing to replace the floor in my aluminum bass boat. It currently has 1/2" wood floor with carpet. This boat has a 25 hp motor on it so the wood weighs a lot in comparison to the power of the motor. I was thinking of using aluminum or some kind of composite material or fiberglass material. Has anyone done this before? Maybe even expanded metal? let me know what ya think or if you have any information. the main concern is lossing some weight.
You can only use marine grade plywood that is totally encased with 37 pounds of fiberglass and resin. It has been used for fifty years and there ain't nothin better in existance.

Ribbing aside..........that expanded metal is an idea. You ever seen some public park benches and tables and such made of it with some sort of heavy vinyl coating???
Bet that would be great to walk on, kinda grippy and it rounds off all the edges, etc.
You could also entertain pultruded pvc floor grating with grit top. Or have it sprayed with the grippy bedliner like Linex or Rhino.