Boat demolishing?

clutch

Recruit
Hi, I am new to this site it looks interesting. Has anyone physically cut up a fiberglass sailboat? I have an oppurtunity to salvage an 1974 Cal-25 that has seen its better day.the boat can be mine just for the removal out of the peoples yard.All of the rigging is intact and in fairly good shape as well as the sails.My question ,how hard would it be to cut the thing up and hall it away. Anybody ever done it. Thx Clutch

D

DJ

Re: Boat demolishing?

Never have actually cut a boat up. Another poster on this board that goes by EVIN300 states that a chainsaw is the tool to use.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hard to say, a chainsaw might work ok here. I have only used one to re-furbish a boat, not to destroy it. I dont know how well it would cut through 1/4" solid fiberglass, but worth a try. Maybe a skillsaw and sawsall would work well too?

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

if it is basically intact why destroy itif your close to northeast northcarolina Ill comengetit but if your set on destroying it a sawzall (reciprocating saw)with an aggresive assortment of blades has worked well for me as I have cut up several & salvaged hardware,fueltanksengines etc... I have used chainsaws,circularsaws,etc... but the sawzall w/ assortment worked best for dust control & is versitile w/ blade assortment in cutting all materials as fiberglass boats are constructed w/ more than just glass dont forget to use a good resporator :rolleyes:

D

DJ

Evin, This was your chance at "Tooltime" stardom. :D <br /><br />Maybe you can get the local fire dept. to practice on it. Read: Fire training.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, djohns! I really think two opposed backhoes would work much better for this type of project. Of couse, if you only have one backhoe, just dig a large hole with it, and slide her in, then cover.<br /><br />Now that its underground, you have a great chemical warefare shelter!

D

DJ

Evin,<br /><br />We should send the suggestion of a "chemical warfare shelter" into the Red Green show! :D