Boat Cover

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
the boat cover which we purchased almost 10 years ago needs to be replaced .... we need a cover for a boat which is stored under a shed when not in use and (if possible) that could be used when towing our boat cross country .... recommendations as to type of material and brand would be appreciated

Jim

superbenk

Commander
Re: Boat Cover

Just ordered a Classic Accessories DryGuard universal cover off Amazon for $150 for my 18' boat. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know. It got good reviews & it says its trailerable.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

info appreciated ... because of the front rails on our boat, I will have to call them and see which model will fit

Jim

superbenk

Commander

My boat is set up similarly to yours with the high rails in the bow. I should get my cover this week so I'll followup

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

thanks, that would be much appreciated

Jim

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Just ordered a Classic Accessories DryGuard universal cover off Amazon for $150 for my 18' boat. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know. It got good reviews & it says its trailerable.

iboats does sell plenty of boat covers....might try here first.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I did just that and got confused by the choices .... hence, starting this thread so as to try and sort things out

Jim

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Very timely thread. I'd also like to see feedback from owners. Need a trailerable cover for my 16' Sylvan, too.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the dryguard by classic. Its a great cover. It is completely water proof and has built in vents.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

suggestion appreciated, will add the dryguard by classic to my list of covers to take a look at

Jim

superbenk

Commander

Put the new cover on today. Not sure if I'm happy or not. It's kind of saggy in the back (too wide for my boat) & not big enough in the front (due to the high bow rails. Quality seems ok, but its nowhere near as thick as my custom fitted one that's all moldy. I'm kind of afraid it's going to rip around the windshield. Not sure if I'd trailer with it or not but it seems like it could work if you didn't mind some flapping. If it would fit a bit better around the bow I'd be happier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 0

superbenk

Commander

Couple more...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0

beaverliner

Seaman Apprentice

I got a sharksking custom cover from iboats. My review is:
1. not comparable to sunbrella period.
2. great fit.
3. not trailerable (unless you want to destroy it really quick)
4. breathability could be improved (again not sunbrella) But I have my own breathing system with a fan and a timer
5. Great value for the money

Good luck in your search for a cover

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Put the new cover on today. Not sure if I'm happy or not.

followup pictures and comments appreciated .... I can see where you are coming from in your description of how it fits .... its hard to beat a custom made cover, I may have to investigate going that route

Jim

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I got a sharksking custom cover from iboats. My review is:
1. not comparable to sunbrella period.
2. great fit.
3. not trailerable (unless you want to destroy it really quick)
4. breathability could be improved (again not sunbrella) But I have my own breathing system with a fan and a timer
5. Great value for the money

Good luck in your search for a cover

really appreciate your assessment .... there is nothing like hearing from someone with hands-on experience

Jim

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

I decided on one thing here on iBoats and, just before committing to my order, called them to see if they had any discount codes. The lady I spoke with (Kit?) was great and helped me find a similar quality cover that was a different brand, saved me about $100. She also gave me a 5% discount as well... big help. I'd give iBoats a call and tell them what you're looking for, I was surprised at how great they were.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I bought an iboats cover as well. Its the Aquashield and its made by Carver. Don't buy one of these unless you enjoy a boat filled with water. It fits pretty good and if you live where it does not rain it would be ok.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been looking at covers as well and if you want something that is going to last, look good, give you quality protection and save you hassle, to me there is no other option than having a custom one made. I have tried several and always hate how they look/fit etc. Of course I have a pontoon so this may or may not be harder to find a cover. After wasting my time buying a couple of covers and then returning them, I'm going to custom route. I know I will be happier, although my wallet may not be.

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I made a mistake of buying a cheap cover off of ebay, and not even a year later and the cover is sunbleached and looks terrible. I suspect that I will end up buying a better cover soon.

I hate that I wasted money on this thing.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I suspect that I will end up buying a better cover soon.

I hate that I wasted money on this thing.

exactly my fear and the reason for starting this thread .... I have no doubt that it will be expensive but I guess it might pay to find a reputable shop that will custom make one for our boat and let them pick the fabric

Jim