Boat construction question on gelcoated underdeck surfaces

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When a modern boat has a fibreglass stringer system and gelcoated under deck surfaces like a ski locker, engine compartment etc what am I looking at? Is the stringer system laid in the hull then everything is glassed over and gel coated? Or is it more modular, and the gelcoated surfaces are part of a their own mold that gets placed on top of the hull and stringers before the deck goes on?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think it depends on the boat, and when it was made. My boat has fiberglass stringers that were gel coated, but they pretty clearly were made separately from the whole, and then we’re tabbed in and filled with foam. Some newer designs may have them as an integral part of the hall.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Fair. It’s a 2020 glastron gts that I am trying to familiarize myself with. Should be the sam construction on modern four winns as they’re all rec boat holdings now.

Looking at the ski locker it follows the rough shape of the stringers and hull but the inside corners are quite rounded out so I was wondering if it’s a separate liner/cockpit sole or of is glassed and gel’d directly on top of everything.

tpenfield

Staff member
As mentioned, there are a variety of ways that fiberglass stringer systems are made and integrated into the hull. Maybe Rec Boat Holdings can share some information or photos on how their boats are made.