Boat age vs financing.

matt167

Rear Admiral
I can’t sell the Offshore just yet, as it’s still not water ready, and due to going through a lost registration recovery, I have a non transferable Registration for 6 months. I’ll likely have the Offshore running mint next year and have it advertised while still using it. One of the parts boats is ready to cut up. The other still has to be taken apart

I would be putting at least $5k down on a boat, so a boat like that ‘85 Islander, I’d just pay cash or mostly cash. But after missing out on most of the season with the Offshore, I don’t want any kind of project.

"She is 1900 lbs and very easy on gas. She is large for 19 feet , because she has an 8 foot beam. And she has nice big gunnels."

I kept chuckling reading this guy's boat ad. A lot of men like ladies with big gunnels...

matt167

Rear Admiral
"She is 1900 lbs and very easy on gas. She is large for 19 feet , because she has an 8 foot beam. And she has nice big gunnels."

I kept chuckling reading this guy's boat ad. A lot of men like ladies with big gunnels...
I cought onto that too.. funny thing is it’s a dealer

matt167

Rear Admiral
So, another Sylvan Offshore 22’ popped up on Facebook for $2,500. 3.0 OMC Cobra. Ultimately I would discount anything OMC but for well below 1/2 price, there could be something to it.

Is the SEI Mercruiser conversion worthy if the engine and manifolds are good? I have a complete 3.0L Mercruiser parts boat that I bought for its mint running engine. But I don’t want another project.

This is way off topic of course but it beats financing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You already have the Mercruiser stuff. Just bolt it in place of the OMC stuff.

matt167

Rear Admiral
If it’s a cobra may not be that bad off might be able to use as is for a year or two
That was a consideration. I wouldn’t want to do a deep dive into making it reliable just to pull it out eventually though. Which is why I was considering doing the SEI leg conversion

Black58

Seaman Apprentice
Just save for next spring and start looking early. Don't jump at the first one you like.

matt167

Rear Admiral
Just save for next spring and start looking early. Don't jump at the first one you like.
I’m not buying anything just yet. I’ve seen a handful of these Sylvan Offshores though and they have major plusses as they are all 22’. Most Islanders are 19’. The downside is I’m pretty sure they all used OMC in the 80s

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Cobras have a bad reputation, which at one point held value, but at this point it is no longer deserved. There are a lot of spare parts available and a lot of servicing things are easier to do. It is nice not to have to take off the lower unit in order to check or change the impeller. Tilt/trim is very is very nicely set up. After 2 mercruisers I bought a 22 foot Islander with a 4.3 liter cobra and itis just better than the mercruisers I had.

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have much to add but from my limited experience with cobras, they aren't that bad. Now would I willingly seek out one? no. But if it was kept up on and is in good running order I wouldn't be that concerned if the price was right and I really liked the boat. Only thing I remember from the one I ran was it didn't like trim at all. That could have been more the hull it was on than the drive itself though.

Scott06

Admiral
The impeller access has me thinking.
@Lou C can tell you all the good bad and ugly on Cobras.

The impeller access is nice but in my experience using OEM merc parts I don't change them enough to have to worry about splitting the drive. I do actually like the smaller lighter alpha drives even with having to split it and the dog clutch clunk.

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
@Lou C can tell you all the good bad and ugly on Cobras.

The impeller access is nice but in my experience using OEM merc parts I don't change them enough to have to worry about splitting the drive. I do actually like the smaller lighter alpha drives even with having to split it and the dog clutch clunk.
I don't even think there is much of a weight difference between the two just based off lugging both around. Bravo is a wee bit heavier though I'll concede...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep I’m a Cobra guy and I have had excellent service from it in what’s probably the difficult for I/Os which is salt water use & moorage. 22 years & minimal repairs. I just rebuilt both trim cylinders & replaced the trim Ram rods due to corrosion. Each rebuild kit was $55 and the Ram Rods I got off a freshwater transom mount I bought for spares. I can also say they are not prone to the common Mercruiser issues in salt water of leaky steering arm seals and worn bushings causing play. The impeller is a 10 min job. I have a lot of spares I have bought over the years and the only ones I have actually needed were for the trim system; and if I were in fresh water this would be a non issue.
I have a spare drive and am going to get at least the lower rebuilt for a spare if needed.

matt167

Rear Admiral
Well. If the cards allign this weekend, there’s a good chance I’ll tug home a nice big enough boat. I can’t post pictures ( because we actually can’t lol ) but I’ll also say that it’s an Islander but not just any old Islander. Got the wife on board with it and we’ll make the room… I buy way to many boats. I know

matt167

Rear Admiral
there is no one perfect boat, however if you have 7 or 8, you can have the right boat for the right conditions.....
I told my wife 3. Small one, family boat and an overnighter. she said we need more property for that. She pointed out an express cruiser that she liked and I told her we don’t have enough truck to pull it ( 26’ with a fly bridge )