Blew my regulator rectifier today

jcap99

Recruit
Took my boat out today, it has a 1998 50 HP Johnson (j50tslecc). Cruised for about 10 minutes and when I stopped I noticed smoke coming from the cowling. Battery terminals were loose and sparking. So I ordered a replacement reg/rec today, but I noticed the electronic goop from the power pack was also melting... it's only a year old and I wasn't having any ignition issues today. The power-packed is directly under the rectifier which was smoldering hot, so I figured the heat caused the power pack goo melt. Should I replace the power pack too or see how it holds up?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Took my boat out today, it has a 1998 50 HP Johnson (j50tslecc). Cruised for about 10 minutes and when I stopped I noticed smoke coming from the cowling. Battery terminals were loose and sparking. So I ordered a replacement reg/rec today, but I noticed the electronic goop from the power pack was also melting... it's only a year old and I wasn't having any ignition issues today. The power-packed is directly under the rectifier which was smoldering hot, so I figured the heat caused the power pack goo melt. Should I replace the power pack too or see how it holds up?
You have two choices, replace everything you think is wrong or test each component and replace what actually IS wrong.

Either way is fine and the Internet has much information.