Binnacle Mount Remote Control Mounted Wrong?

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a used 1990 115 Johnson that won't go past 2000 rpm (estimated. It has no tach). I looked at the cables and found that the stroke of the throttle cable is only 2", therefore, the engine throttle is not able to travel all the way to full speed. The shifter cable on the other hand does have a stroke of 3+". I looked online and see that Johnson Evinrude control cables have a 3"+ stroke.

My throttle control is a black plastic single lever OMC top mount (binnacle) type for a Johnson outboard like this one http://www.pensacolafishingforum.co...0d1360193329-wanted-omc-controls-img_0611-jpg.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle Cable Stroke too Short

Re: Throttle Cable Stroke too Short

Sounds like something in the control box is installed in the wrong position.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Binnacle Mount Remote Control Mounted Wrong?

Sounds like something in the control box is installed in the wrong position.

Took a good look at it, and here's what I've found out:
- the control is a model 175257 Remote Control Binnacle with trim
- it is installed backwards onto the console, leaving the trim switch on your right hand pinky drive, instead of on your right hand thumb drive.
- the throttle cable only travels 2" in forward because the control arm hits the control base, the end of the stroke
- if you press the fast idle and move the handle forward, the throttle cable will only travel 2", about 1 inch short of full speed on the engine throttle
- if press the fast idle and move the handle in the direction of reverse , the throttle cable will travel 3" and push the engine throttle all the way to wide open full speed
- however, if you put the remote control in reverse gear, the throttle cable will not move at all, because the FNR cable bottoms out pushing the engine to reverse, and the throttle side of the remote control can't pull any further.

Both cables on the remote control are exactly opposite of each other, on both the cable anchor and cable retainer being on the slot that is nearest to the handle. Maybe they should be in the slot further down, to give them more stroke? Or should they be in alternating slots? The slots can be seen in part #36 on the diagram for 1992 SD ACCESSORIES OMC Sterndrive Accessories REMOTE CONTROL - BINNACLE - SINGLE LEVER Diagram and Parts, the actual part is 0126481 Plate, cable mounting

Any installation manuals?​

Last edited:

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Long online search yielded no installation instructions.

I found that the same or almost identical model of Binnacle Mount Remote Control was used by OMC Johnson Evinrude from 1992 to 2009, so there should be many people on this forum with the same controls and a similar or higher horse Power engine.

Can anyone with one of those tell me where their cables are mounted on the remote control?

I already figured out that the control was put in backwards, but I still need to know where the throttle and shifter cables are mounted. Please read my last posting.​

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

They also chafed all three trim tilt wires when they installed the remote control backwards, so I'm going to splice them back together, as the trim is not working at all. Hopefully nothing was short circuited. As soon as I'm done with that I'll re-install the remote control the correct direction, AND THEN I guess I'll have to fiddle with the cables installation till I get it right, since no one responded.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From you description, it sounds like the throttle and shift cables are reversed. Disconnect the cables at the motor end and see which cable moves first. That's the shift cable.

Also - Don't get chafed because you didn't get answers to a post that's only 20 hours old. You aren't the only one asking/demanding help in these forums

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took a good look at it, and here's what I've found out:
- the control is a model 175257 Remote Control Binnacle with trim
- it is installed backwards onto the console, leaving the trim switch on your right hand pinky drive, instead of on your right hand thumb drive.
- the throttle cable only travels 2" in forward because the control arm hits the control base, the end of the stroke
- if you press the fast idle and move the handle forward, the throttle cable will only travel 2", about 1 inch short of full speed on the engine throttle
- if press the fast idle and move the handle in the direction of reverse , the throttle cable will travel 3" and push the engine throttle all the way to wide open full speed
- however, if you put the remote control in reverse gear, the throttle cable will not move at all, because the FNR cable bottoms out pushing the engine to reverse, and the throttle side of the remote control can't pull any further.

Both cables on the remote control are exactly opposite of each other, on both the cable anchor and cable retainer being on the slot that is nearest to the handle. Maybe they should be in the slot further down, to give them more stroke? Or should they be in alternating slots? The slots can be seen in part #36 on the diagram for 1992 SD ACCESSORIES OMC Sterndrive Accessories REMOTE CONTROL - BINNACLE - SINGLE LEVER Diagram and Parts, the actual part is 0126481 Plate, cable mounting

Any installation manuals?​

OK, I turned the remote control in the correct direction, and had to move the shift cable from being side by side next to the throttle cable (on the remote control) to being on the opposite side, that is, with the remote control mounted in the up position on the center console, the throttle cable is in the front of the remote control (on the closest slot), and the shifter cable is in the back of the remote control in the closest slot. Now I can shift into forward and the throttle cable does push the engine throttle to full speed.

In short, I made two changes
1) I turned the remote control around to the correct direction, so that my right hand thumb could operate the trim/tilt button on the handle
2) I moved the shifter cable from the front of the remote control, to the back side. (I left the throttle on the front , where it was before.)

My problem now is that when I go in reverse, the remote control shifter cable bottoms out in reverse, but the throttle cable won't keep going to accelerate in reverse. The throttle cable stays in idle.

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Others will chime in but it seems that you may have to adjust the shift cable at the motor end. Put the throttle hand in neutral; disconnect the shift cable at the engine and put the shift lever in neutral then adjust the cable without moving the lever. Hope that works. Good luck

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Others will chime in but it seems that you may have to adjust the shift cable at the motor end. Put the throttle hand in neutral; disconnect the shift cable at the engine and put the shift lever in neutral then adjust the cable without moving the lever. Hope that works. Good luck

The shifter at the engine side works perfect, forward, neutral reverse. My problem is with the remote control throttle, when the remote control shifter cable is pushed to engage the reverse it bottoms out on the cable sleeve as it should, however, on the opposite side the throttle cable is pulling (which means it is pulling the throttle to idle speed). There should be a mechanism in the remote control that permits the throttle cable to push the engine throttle side while the shift side is in reverse (also pushing). In reverse the shifter cable and the throttle cables should both be pushing. On mine the shifter is pushing and the throttle is pulling. Hence I can't speed up in reverse.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope I'm clear.

GA_Boater

Have you verified that the cables are not reversed. It still sounds like they are from your description. The throttle cable always moves in the same direction for throttle up, regardless for forward or reverse.

Put the control in neutral, disconnect the cables at the motor and advance the handle to forward as you watch the cable ends. The first moving cable is shift cable. As you continue the advance, the throttle cable will begin to move. Then try reverse, everything is the same except the shift cable will move in the opposite direction. As the handle is moved more rearward, the throttle cable will move in exactly the same direction as advancing when in forward.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first one to move at the engine end is the shifter. It must be correctly installed since when I push the fast idle button, the only cable that moves on the control and the engine is the throttle. Though I find it odd that they would design the control so that it would fast idle in both directions forward or reverse. It is also assembled according to the parts diagram (see Note), the throttle is on the starboard side of the remote control and the shifter on the port . Now, how come when the fast idle button is depressed, the remote control pushes (accelerates) whether the handle is pushed forward or reverse, however, when put in gear, it will only push in forward gear, and retract (pull engine throttle to idle) when in reverse gear?

NOTE: No one has verified whether the cables mount on the remote control on opposite ends of the Cable Mounting Plate #36 on the diagram mentioned on my initial posting, part number 0126481. The prior owner/installer had both the cables on the same side, now I have a cable at each side. (The prior owner sold me the boat because he could not get it to rev up.)

GA_Boater

What you think is odd is normal. The fast idle only happens in neutral, the direction of handle movement doesn't matter. At that point it is only a throttle.

I don't know where to find the parts diagram you refer to. Why don't you post a link, at least.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the diagram and parts list link Remote Control - Binnacle - Single Lever Remote Controls 1992 Accessories for 1992 Johnson Evinrude Outboards

I installed the cables according to the parts diagram, the throttle connects to #26 on the starboard side of the remote control and the shifter cable attaches to #28 on the port side . When the fast idle button is depressed, the remote control pushes throttle cable (accelerates the engine side) whether the handle is pushed forward or reverse, however, when put in gear, it will only push in forward gear, and it retracts (thus pulling engine throttle to idle) when in reverse gear? I can't accelerate in reverse. I have no brakes!

NOTE: No one has verified whether the cables mount on the remote control on opposite ends of the Cable Mounting Plate #36 as I have re-installed it to make it go full speed in forward. The plate has four slots (two on each side, see them near the bottom sides) in which to mount the cable anchor #49 and cable retainer #50, they hold the cable in the slots pictured directly in front of them in part #36. Notice there are two slots on either side, meaning that the cables can be mounted in four different positions.

The prior owner/installer had both the cables on the same side slots nearest to the handle top (and the entire remote control was installed backwards). He could not get the boat to go faster than idle, and sold me the boat because he gave up paying for parts to fix the engine.

Now I have turned around the remote control in the correct direction, and I have the two cables on opposite sides slots, on the slots nearest to the handle top. As far as I've found out, the specs of the cable say that they have a 3" travel, that is why I did not put them in the lower slot furthest away from the handle, I don't believe the cable will stretch that far, but, I have no tested that.

I have fixed the problem of accelerating in forward, however, now I can't accelerate in reverse. I believe there is something broken or missing on the control that allows the throttle to disengage from the shifter when the shifter pushes forward. Right now if the shifter pushes the cable (to push the engine shifter into reverse), the throttle pulls (which pulls the throttle into idle). If the shifter pulls the cable (to pull the engine shifter into forward), the throttle eventually pushes, which pushes the throttle at the engine end into higher speeds.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC Binnacle Mount Remote Control.jpg

Attachments

• 8132-2-lg_1.jpg
    8132-2-lg_1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

In the parts diagram - where is the throttle cable end connected - item number? And same for the throttle cable, what item number is the end connected to?

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

See diagram with my notes in red:

I attached the throttle cable to point B and the retainer to slot 1

I attached the shifter cable to point D and the retainer to slot 3

Binnacle Mount Remote Control 175257 parts w comments (2).jpg

GA_Boater

First, points D and B seem right. A and C are for a reversed/left-hand operation, it really doesn't matter as long as the cable ends are D/B or A/C.

I'm going to suggest moving the cable anchor in slot 1 to slot 4. The control is pushing the cable (or pulling) the cable in the wrong direction when the anchor is on the opposite side of plate 36. One side or the other of plate 36 is for reversed/left-hand operation. The cable ends and anchors should be on the same side of plate 36.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able finally to find an installation instruction by paying $3.99 for a 1994 Johnson Evinrude Accessories Service Manual here: http://www.selffixer.com/outboard.motors/johnson.evinrude/1994.Johnson.Evinrude.Accessories.Service.Manual.htm

It had a section for the installation of the cables to the binnacle remote control like mine. The only thing I had installed wrong was the shift cable should have been connected to the hole closest to the inside of part 28. I had it on the hole on the outside. If you look closely at part 28 point D, it has two holes into which you can attach the shift cable. I had it on the wrong one. That's it and now everything works.

Thanks for all of your help.