Bimini Tops

rfinlay98

Recruit
Good morning all. I am the owner of a new (at least new to me) 1994 Starcraft Superfisherman 170. I really wanted this style of boat, with the walk through windsheild mainly because I love to fish and dont get as often as I would like, and should the weather turn nasty...i can put the bimini up and stay out on the water. The issue a bimini did not come with the boat....does anybody have any suggestions on where I might get one that fits my boat? I have seen a lot of sun shade bimini tops, but I am only interested in the kind that will snap to my widsheild. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum.

Snapping to the windshield is probably more of a custom job, not off the shelf. I've talked to my guy about taking my existing bimini - which is nice and tall completely stand up underneath - and tie into my windshield. Haven't done it yet, just talked.

aspeck

Staff member
Do you have a custom upholstery and cover shop near you? They should have the supplies and knowledge to make one that will fit your boat perfectly.

rfinlay98

Recruit
Thanks for the replys guys! Yeah Dave, I am definitely looking for more of a convertible top, something exactly like what you've got on your Rinker. My buddy has one on his Starcraft Starfire....and its so nice to be able to stay fishing when the weather turns. I guess I was kind of hoping/wishing there was a manufacturer that outfits older model boats with stock spec tops...was trying to avoid a custom job to save some $$. But looks like that may be the route I will have to take. Thanks again all.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i'd prefer to stand up. If you are going custom think of that now. Rather than hunkering down to go in and out, you can stand up as often as you want. Not great aerodynamics when running but will be my preferred when I do this.

Good luck, post pics of your fish.

aspeck

Staff member
Mine is a stand-up Bimini with attached clear panels that can be in place or removed. It works great in hot weather to shield the sun and in cold weather to shield from the wind and cold. Does nice in the rain also. I would seriously consider a stand-up bimini instead of a convertible with add-on clear front curtains. And depending on the custom shop, you might find them to be quite reasonable. My custom shop is making stuff for me that there is no way I could ever purchase fromm a catalog at that price. She knows I don't "care" about an additional seam if the price is right so she uses her scraps. Not long ago she made me a REALLY NICE cover for my meat smoker for $10.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
She knows I don't "care" about an additional seam if the price is right so she uses her scraps. Not long ago she made me a REALLY NICE cover for my meat smoker for $10.

my guy too, plus he knows I pay in unmarked $20 bills.