Bimini Tops

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
IMG code is there, but the address isnt the same as the links you just posted.

Lets see if I can edit IMG code into the 2 you just posted
I put up a thread in website issues. Dropbox changed how things work today.

I am going to contact dropbox to see how I can make it work with img codes again

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
To each his own - that's why they make all different kinds of canvas. Personally, though, if the boat had a good windshield I would never own a Bimini.

The problem today is that the windshields are all too low, making a convertible top impractical. Even if they are high enough the curved glass makes the view distorted. I don't like standing up, but many boats today require it.

I have been looking at new boats and have yet to find one that suits me. Most have the top of the windshield below my line of sight, or right in front of my eyes. Can't drive without good vision. Also, most Biminis are so high that a lot of shade is lost.

My current convertible top will easily shade 4 people. Plus, it keeps mother warm for 3 seasons. Sure, you can put a plastic "window" between the top and the windshield, but the distortion there is greater than the foolish curved windshield.

I guess i'll just have to keep the old girl another year (the boat that is).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sure, you can put a plastic "window" between the top and the windshield, but the distortion there is greater than the foolish curved windshield.
Interesting...I can see just fine through mine. It's also rarely up and rolled up nicely so that when I do need it, it doesn't give me distortion!

We used to have convertible tops on a few of our older boats. Replaced the stupid things with biminis so we could walk around the boat without ducking all the time. Like you said...to each his own.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I am 6'3" and I picked a bimini height that would allow me to stand while driving the boat. Wouldn't have it any other way.

fishrdan

Admiral
I need a minimum of 43". The sizes I am seeing that will fit are 54" high. Is that going to be too high and cause an issue and I should keep looking?

Get the 54" tall, and if needed, chop the legs off it to lower it. More height will give you better headroom, lower will give you more shade.

I have sliders on my bimini to move it around, even tilt it forward and backward to provide shade as needed.

Something else that comes in handy is a large towel and a couple of small spring loaded wood clamps, so you can throw up some shade in the afternoon when the sun is cutting under the bimini.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Convertible and bimini tops are two different things. The bimini is primarily for shade where I am. It may provide a little protection from rain, but probably not much. They allow you to fully stand up and function on the boat, just with some shade.

A convertible top is really designed to provide shelter from rain/weather. It can provide shade, but typically restricts standing up a little more.

It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

True enough - they are apples and oranges...but at the very least, they are both fruit. My convertible top allows for standing upright. Not while at the helm, but while standing behind the captain and front passenger seat. And the front does unzip to open up for air and light. Will see how it works as so far, I only tried it in the show room.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Adding my pictures again after the dropbox issues:

Attachments

• photo260691.JPG
    photo260691.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260692.jpg
    photo260692.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
True enough - they are apples and oranges...but at the very least, they are both fruit. My convertible top allows for standing upright. Not while at the helm, but while standing behind the captain and front passenger seat. And the front does unzip to open up for air and light. Will see how it works as so far, I only tried it in the show room.
So...how long have you been boating with this convertible top?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok Bruce, I see where you are heading with this, and fair enough. I'm the rookie as previously declared. I agreed with the pros and cons of both tops. One can't replace the other and neither does the job of the other perfectly. However, there are some similarities. Haven't hit the water yet with mine, but have seen others use them, stood in them, read about them, seen numerous designs out there that really seem to come close to being one-size fits all. I'd never pay for them though. That all said - there's a clear difference between these two examples, when it come to some standing room vs. zero standing room. But hey, what do I know :)

http://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/323460/sea-ray-18br-3l-bracebridge-ontario

http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7169082&d=1400618922

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With a bimini, you can fold it up and put a boot on it and it stands out of the way. With a convertible top, there is normally never a support pole on the backside since the top relies on the tension to the windshield to stay up. if you want to drive around without the top, it has to be laid down.

As you can see in the second picture, it's a pain to fold it up and movie it out of the way.

On a Bayliner I had before my present boat, it came with a convertible top and a bimini. The only time I ever used the convertible top is if I wanted to hook it up to a rear top to make a camper enclosure. When I had my bimini made for my present boat, I had it made so it can incorporate a camper enclosure. The bayliner's convertible top also had a way so you could stand while driving the boat but you had to stand in the center with your right hand on the steering wheel which is very dangerous since you don't have your hand near the throttle.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yikes - not sure how mine will fold away...back like a Bimini (hopeful but seems unlikely, or need to be stowed away under bench seat. We'll see!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can have pole that is removed or folded up when the convertible top is up. It's only use will be to hold up the top when you have the top rolled up and in a boot.

Best thing to do is to spend time with what you have to see how its function works for you. You will know plenty after one season with it.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
My convertible folds back just like a bimini does. My issue is when its deployed I have to sit...and even then its pretty much touching the top of my head. Plus it really seals off that area of the boat so ventilation is tough and it gets HOT

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
My convertible top comes in two pieces, so I can entirely remove the rear section, and side windows, leaving something in place which is almost as high as a Bimini top that extends down to the top of the windshield, and can be unzipped at the windshield to allow air flow...still can't stand while driving though, unless perhaps I do that thing holding the wheel with my right hand, which I wouldn't, Due the danger aspect pointed out earlier when you can't reach the throttle.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
To piggy backnon this topic, here's another Bimini-related question...the old Sunbrella convertible top which comes with the used boat I'm getting, has significant mildew on the underneath/inside. Outside is in good shape - no rips, fading etc. So here's the question:

What cleaning supplies do I need to buy, to soak and scrub the mildew off, without causing the colour to fade and without compromising the tent-like waterproof integrity of the canvas?

I saw this YouTube video, which seems great - but it's on a white top, while mine is dark red...wouldn't the bleach that's part of the mixture in the video, cause the colour to fade?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcM4VmJYCRk

Here's another (shorter) video made by Sunbrella itself, Which also calls for a mixture which also includes bleach, on a blue top!?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nvijjJRMfE8

Thoughts??

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again Bruce - I'll try first without the diluted bleach mix, then if I have to use it, I'll retreat with the water repelant solution. Cheers!

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so I found a top....now trying to decide between 3 types of fabric:

Sunbrella
Sharkskin Supreme SD
Sharkskin Plus

There is a price difference of about $120 between the Plus and the Sunbrella with the Supreme being in the middle. I know Sunbrella is the top of the line, but does anyone know the difference between the supreme and the Plus by Sharkskin?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Update: Ended up going with a Westland with the Sharkskin Supreme fabric and added the additional strut brace kit