Bimini top for inflatable boat

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini top for inflatable boat

That combo looks real size exageration and very heavy, the aft one is for placing lights, antenas on ribs not sibs or canopy use, should be high enough for a person of 1.70 mt to stand between alum floor and roof, if too high will act as a parachute, will slow you down and if not correctly strapped will simply fold and smash against rear frame with heavy wind. Other tech issue, don't secure alum tubes to oar side locks, will break, the pin is recessed against a plastic tube which is not good quality resistance, sometimes they even break when rowing. Better buy or build a true light sib canopy....

Happy Boating

Nice RIB Searider, what hp is that motor, and how hard is it to get the rig from stowed, to on the water?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Partay,

The rib is a 420 meter with a Tohatsu 2 strokes 18 HP short tail engine, don't neeed more as it runs at 22 knots at wot, sufficient speed for 2 crew use and lower fuel consumption than a 30 HP engine. It only takes 15 munutes to take cover off, secure gas tank, slight inflation if needed, 15 meters pier travel to crane to lower rib into sea by incorporated slings/U rings located at bow and transom deck area.

The rib lives inside a boating club on trailer top and is already fitted with engine, canopy, gas tank hose, anchor, coolers, a fast & real breeze to deploy...

Happy Boating

ZIZON

Seaman

@ Searider
Is it safe to leave gas in the gas tank for weeks, does the gas tank get melted. Thanks

azzurro

Seaman

@ Searider
Is it safe to leave gas in the gas tank for weeks, does the gas tank get melted. Thanks

No it will not provided it is a real gas-tank-monger...

But weeks may become months and months may become seasons... and you may face this:
- 2 stroke engines: the gas tank contains a mix of oil and gasoline. Gas evaporates and oil does not. May end with a mess in the tank.
- 2 stroke engines and 4 stroke engines: avoid 100% full tanks, do not expose to sun and freeze and, well, most of the advices are usually written in the gas tanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What stated by Azurro is correct, besides, gasoline tends to atract moisture, the worst if being ethanol mixed, at the most 3 weeks for leftovers use for the engine to start properly. If leaving tank inside sib/rib under sunny environments, the tank will turn round as a pig, specially if the vent air valve is at closed position. Better remove tank and place under shade with firmly closed cap and air vent...

Happy Boating

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Please anyone advice me. Does two clamps on the outboard is strong enough to secure on the transom? Should I secure it more with 2 bolts as recommend in manual.
Do you have to rinse fresh water after using it in the sea? How do you do it, I have read in the manual, they are complicated, it?s asking to take the propeller off and clean it. I want to clean the outboard by put it in the fresh water basket and start the engine for internal cleaning process. Do this necessary? Many thanks.

I add a safety line, tied to the outboard on one end, tied to the boat on the other end, just in case the outboard isn't screwed down tight enough or if the transom givesway. The outboard would need work after being submerged, but at least it would not be at the bottom of the sea.

And like some else replied, I would always flush with fresh water, if available, after being in salt water. They say to remove prop for safety more than anything, as long as you stay clear of it while running engine, you will be fine. If running it in a barrel, it will really churn the water up with the prop on.

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'm going to buy an anchor but im not sure how weight of the anchor is suitable for a 3.8m boat. Many Thanks

how about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOTTY-ANCHOR-P...=190497830196&ps=63&clkid=8011734689200051224

I use a 2KG bruce anchor and it works very well on mud, sand and rocky structure.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-...orp-318502/4.4-galvanized-seahook-anchor.html

Whatever anchor you get, in order for it to hold properly you need to have at least 10 feet of chain and at least 100 feet of line (more is better).

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went with a small simple mushroom style. I did take the advice of chain. My anchor is just a "lunch" anchor to be used while on shore with constant eyes on the boat.

When I had the old SIB one of the biggest times I used an anchor was during set up next to the water. The SIB would be partially in the water. Usually someone came by with a big wake and next thing I knew walking back from the truck the SIB would be adrift in knee deep water.

If you look at pic I have anchor and chain clipped into a D-ring to keep it from rolling around.

5528999574_38d5fc6996_o-1.jpg

ZIZON

Seaman

My first trip on inflatable boat, with no experience in boat handling, I got a bit nervous at first when the waves hit the boat, some water get in to the boat, I unplugged the drain plug but it's not drain out, may be my engine is not fast enough to get the water out of the boat. Should I leave the drain unplugged while sailing in that case? I mean water already in the boat.

It's a beautiful day, good weather, we carry our boat by hand, it's heavy but no other way, and I?m considering buying wheels for it. We enjoy the trip very much!

DSC03306.jpg

DSC03382.jpg

DSC03315.jpg

DSC03343.jpg

DSC03331.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

azzurro

Seaman

Nice boat! That pics are killing me, the sand, the boats in the beach, I can't wait to launch mine.
ZIZON, the drain plug is not enough. While the boat is planning, the water won't come out, you need speed and angle. I take a manual drain plug with me because I get lots of water when beaching (waves breaking into boat).

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations on the virgin voyage.

Were you able to get the boat up on plane? The plugs should have been draining as you were moving. You could leave them open since they are one way valves but if a small twig or something gets in the diaphram they'll leak. I think most guys close them to keep foreign objects out and or make sure they are sealed from water coming back in.

P3280016-1.jpg

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice pics! For "beaching", you might end up with 2 anchors. Method: As you approach the beach, drop the stern anchor, and pay out the line as the boat moves forward toward the sand. After you disembark, push the boat back into the water a few feet (so the boat is floating), and use another anchor or sand screw to hold the front (bow) of the boat toward the beach. You'll have to adjust the stern line, too. If the boat is kept floating, there is less sand wear on the keel, and waves are less likely to splash over the stern. If the waves are larger, it will be necessary to reverse the direction of the boat, so that the bow faces into the wave.
Tip: Advise your passengers that their feet and legs will get wet, so shorts are best. Another tip: A small bucket with some drain holes in the bottom is handy to hold your anchors, line, and chain. Your anchor, IMO, looks a bit small for your boat. A stiff breeze might set it free.

Larry

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0

ZIZON

Seaman

Nice boat! That pics are killing me, the sand, the boats in the beach, I can't wait to launch mine.
ZIZON, the drain plug is not enough. While the boat is planning, the water won't come out, you need speed and angle. I take a manual drain plug with me because I get lots of water when beaching (waves breaking into boat).

Thank you, show us your boat next time when you launch it.

ZIZON

Seaman

Congratulations on the virgin voyage.

Were you able to get the boat up on plane? The plugs should have been draining as you were moving. You could leave them open since they are one way valves but if a small twig or something gets in the diaphram they'll leak. I think most guys close them to keep foreign objects out and or make sure they are sealed from water coming back in.

My engine still in break-in progress, some time i have tried full throttle but it's slow with 3 people, but with 2 people, it?s instantly faster and the boat up on plane

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Congrats Zizon, finally on water, assume you have broken a bottle of French Champagne on bow :D before sib was launched into sea. Some canopy & sib issues :

Seems you are using 2 side lines to secure front canopy alum rail against side life lines, if so, canopy will not be rigid specially at middle, better is : place a U line betwen both side towing d'rings, pass it throught middle big bow d'ring and up some centimeters passing bow tube, place a stainless steel quick link, carabiners on middle line, place a eyed belt strap in midle interior alum bar with eyed ring on other side of belt to be linked to quick link, crabiners or whatever. Can use small ring located inside upper bow big d'ring to secure anchorline.

Oar side locks recessed pins are no good to support front canopy alum bar weight specially under heavy winds, better change having a shop facility for these simple ones, check pictures.

9.8 HP engine is too poor for planning with 3 mates, just for 2, disembark third mate to take pictures of you and second mate while cruising :D, would need at least min 15/18HP for boating with 3 with a 380 mtr sib. How high is your transom from sib's bottom to upper transom ? (Where engine is placed)

Standard Asian drain plugs don't work well, their diaphragms are thick and don't flex as required to perform as expected compared to Zodiac's brand state of the art thinner water diaphragms, if possible/available in your area change for Zodiac ones, will perform much better to take transom's water out while planning. It's impossible to drain100% water remains inside deck, cut by half a 500 cc plastic bottle or get a sponge to dry water leftovers from transom area. Drain water valve must have cap on while sib is floating at rest, or flood...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Fijacion Externa.JPG
    Fijacion Externa.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Zizon-1.JPG
    Zizon-1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Fijacion Interna.JPG
    Fijacion Interna.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Zizon-2.JPG
    Zizon-2.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Plug's Comparison.JPG
    Plug's Comparison.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 0

azzurro

Seaman

Oops...sorry
"I take a manual bilge pump with me because I get lots of water when beaching (waves breaking into boat)."
I've also seen cheap huge sponges being used and the are easy and fantastic for ribs, but they will not reach the space between an alu floor and the hull.
I mean something like this:
http://store.mpgear.com/images/Beckson_BilgePump.jpg
http://media.rei.com/media/684985Lrg.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If drain plug is removed and diaphragm valve is worling ok while cruising, there's still a height difference between valve to floor that will prevent all water remains out. It's impossible to have a 100% dried bottom specially if it's a wooden or alum pannel sib. If in persuit of best dryness, what you can do is, plane the sib at 1/4 speed as to maintain the bow risen up, with a sponge, cut bottle, towell or whatever means you preffer, proceed to dry water left overs gathered at transom area.

On Asian sibs, the only available space to introduce a hose/peak of the linked photos shown, would be the transom floor pannel, there's a half moon cut side to drain valve, check not to harm the bottom fabric if planning using those recommended items. Personally, I'm not a fan of carrying bulky accesories to drain water out, less space to have and the more will bother you and others on board...

Azzurro ; If you take manual bilge pump with you because you get lots of water when beaching (waves breaking into boat)." would not be easier and faster to remove engine from transom and turn sib to side to remove all water at once ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

azzurro

Seaman

If drain diaphragm valve is worling ok with cap opened while cruising, there's still a height difference between valve to floor that will prevent all water remains out. It's impossible to have a 100% dried bottom specially if it's a wooden or alum pannel sib. If in persuit of best dryness, what you can do is, plane the sib at 1/4 speed as to maintain the bow risen up, with a sponge, cut bottle, towell or whatever means you preffer, proceed to dry water left overs gathered at transom area.

On Asian sibs, the only available space to introduce a hose/peak of the linked photos shown, would be the transom floor pannel, there's a half moon cut side to drain valve, check not to harm the bottom fabric if planning using those recommended items. Personally, I'm not a fan of carrying bulky accesories to drain water out, less space to have and the more will bother you and others on board...

Azzurro ; If you take manual bilge pump with you because you get lots of water when beaching (waves breaking into boat)." would not be easier and faster to remove engine from transom and turn sib to side to remove all water at once ?

Happy Boating

Sure! But not on my own! Beaching is not always complicated, fortunately. But once I got "one or two people" weight in water. Even though, I've been told watered inflatables are more stable when choppy sea.