Bimini top for inflatable boat

ZIZON

Seaman
My boat has a bimini top as picture, it about 1,8m hight and 1,3m wide. my question is, does it has any problem while sailing in normal win condition. thanks

DSC03287.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini top for inflatable boat

It looks like there is no restraint at the front. From the picture I would expect the front bow to blow back to the rear arch with any sort of speed on. I would hook a couple of straps from the front bow to the rings where the black life lines attach. There seem to be a number of other D-rings visible that you could use as well. Even then, I'd be careful of going too fast with the top extended. With a 10 hp and a few people in the boat, it might not go fast enough to be a problem.

ZIZON

Seaman

Yes, i'm going to hook some traps from the front hook as you suggested. the problem that im worry about is the boat can be capsized by its top extened in wind condition and waves. does this top extened look safe? do i need to cut it shorter? Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That combo looks real size exageration and very heavy, the aft one is for placing lights, antenas on ribs not sibs or canopy use, should be high enough for a person of 1.70 mt to stand between alum floor and roof, if too high will act as a parachute, will slow you down and if not correctly strapped will simply fold and smash against rear frame with heavy wind. Other tech issue, don't secure alum tubes to oar side locks, will break, the pin is recessed against a plastic tube which is not good quality resistance, sometimes they even break when rowing. Better buy or build a true light sib canopy....

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Canopy-2.JPG
    Canopy-2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Canopy-1.JPG
    Canopy-1.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, you'll need more strapping as in Sea Rider's pics, of course. Face it, though, there are meant for mild wind/speed conditions. Of the few small boats I've been on with tall bimini tops, it seems that the tops are only minimally effective at providing shade. In reality, the sun is rarely high overhead. More likely, the sun is off to one side, or lower on the horizon, and the top is almost never positioned quite where you want it. A good sun hat (like the one at the bottom of your stair railing), light clothing, and sunscreen are just as effective, and much less troublesome. If the top is there for rain protection while you fish, great! Real nice looking boat, btw!

Is this metalwork all custom? Nice bending! Will the metal arch hold up to a pretty good body slam? I'm curious only because I can't see how it's attached to the boat.

Larry

ZIZON

Seaman

That combo looks real size exageration and very heavy, the aft one is for placing lights, antenas on ribs not sibs or canopy use, should be high enough for a person of 1.70 mt to stand between alum floor and roof, if too high will act as a parachute, will slow you down and if not correctly strapped will simply fold and smash against rear frame with heavy wind. Other tech issue, don't secure alum tubes to oar side locks, will break, the pin is recessed against a plastic tube which is not good quality resistance, sometimes they even break when rowing. Better buy or build a true sib canopy....

Happy Boating

Thank you for your advice, i have lower the top to 1.7m, will be test the top soon, hopefully there will be no problem.

ZIZON

Seaman

Yes, you'll need more strapping as in Sea Rider's pics, of course. Face it, though, there are meant for mild wind/speed conditions. Of the few small boats I've been on with tall bimini tops, it seems that the tops are only minimally effective at providing shade. In reality, the sun is rarely high overhead. More likely, the sun is off to one side, or lower on the horizon, and the top is almost never positioned quite where you want it. A good sun hat (like the one at the bottom of your stair railing), light clothing, and sunscreen are just as effective, and much less troublesome. If the top is there for rain protection while you fish, great! Real nice looking boat, btw!

Is this metalwork all custom? Nice bending! Will the metal arch hold up to a pretty good body slam? I'm curious only because I can't see how it's attached to the boat.

Larry

My location is in Vietnam, the sun is always on the top. That's why I want a big top. The stainless steel frame is a custom made; I have a workshop to make it for me. I have a steel plate under the aluminum floor to secure the frame with 8mm bolts.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ZIZON - I still have my JPMarine 380 model set up in the livingroom (bought it at christmas). Lets keep in touch with these two boats since they appear to be clones except for the color. There was a 3rd member I think too on this forum that purchased one recently from JPMarine?

I've had mine inflated for about 10 weeks now and only topped it off twice with air. The ice is breaking up and winters grip releasing here so launch date soon.

I didn't like the slippery aluminum floor so I put in some cheap thin rubber backed rugs that fit perfect.

floor004-1.jpg

I'm still working out the prob with the 156 pound 25 HP Mercury and man handling it though.

azzurro

Seaman

Pack Rat: whatever solution you find to heavy engine handling will be welcome.

ZIZON

Seaman

ZIZON - I still have my JPMarine 380 model set up in the livingroom (bought it at christmas). Lets keep in touch with these two boats since they appear to be clones except for the color. There was a 3rd member I think too on this forum that purchased one recently from JPMarine?

I've had mine inflated for about 10 weeks now and only topped it off twice with air. The ice is breaking up and winters grip releasing here so launch date soon.

I didn't like the slippery aluminum floor so I put in some cheap thin rubber backed rugs that fit perfect.

floor004-1.jpg

I'm still working out the prob with the 156 pound 25 HP Mercury and man handling it though.

I'll keep you all posted at the first sea trial on this weekend, i think my boat is a cheaper one, i won a bid on ebay about 1200 USD, mine doesnt have 3 small D ring to hang the side bag as yours, those hooks on the transom for towing skiboard, and it doesnt have hypertex label as well. Other than that it looks like yours.

what is pressure on your boat, are you pump it as recommended in the manual?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The issue about counting with a true sib canopy is that you can fold it behind the motor, wont lessen available space as folding aginst aft round rail that will be located before motor. What stated about sun shade it's true, will depend on earth's location, down here during summer if you do not count with a canopy will simply evaporate. A canopy will give 60% shade, mostly from engine to middle sib, bow crew will need to use Mexican hats for better sun protection :D

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Canopy-420.jpg
    Canopy-420.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ZIZON - My JP380 manual says 3.4 lbs but it seems soft at that rating.

azzurro - Where I'll be putting in there are lots of free public boat ramps. They have asphalt parking lots and concrete ramps. Looks like I'm going to have to mount the engine onto the boat up in the parking lot and move it all down the ramp on a modifed dolly system. I'm also looking at modifying an old steel hand cart I can bring the engine down close to the water on and then mount it on the boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Top to 3.5 psi on water, fix the engine carrying issue, that's why don't like heavier engines, my max is a 18 horse...

Happy Boating

ZIZON

Seaman

Please anyone advice me. Does two clamps on the outboard is strong enough to secure on the transom? Should I secure it more with 2 bolts as recommend in manual.
Do you have to rinse fresh water after using it in the sea? How do you do it, I have read in the manual, they are complicated, it?s asking to take the propeller off and clean it. I want to clean the outboard by put it in the fresh water basket and start the engine for internal cleaning process. Do this necessary? Many thanks.

ZIZON

Seaman

ZIZON - My JP380 manual says 3.4 lbs but it seems soft at that rating.

azzurro - Where I'll be putting in there are lots of free public boat ramps. They have asphalt parking lots and concrete ramps. Looks like I'm going to have to mount the engine onto the boat up in the parking lot and move it all down the ramp on a modifed dolly system. I'm also looking at modifying an old steel hand cart I can bring the engine down close to the water on and then mount it on the boat.

Do you have a gauge pressure with the boat? mine is measuring by PSI and bar, it rates 3.6 psi but im not dare to pump it at that rate.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nothing will happen, that's their factory working pressure, when manufactured are inflated at much more for 24 hrs to look for leaks.

You must rinse engine every time if boating at sea, otherwise salt will form inside engine and start to clog water passages, not good, forget about removing prop, just don't clutch forward or reverse while flushing with engine on for the thermostat to open and clean head. Use water barrel or ear mufs for at least 5 minutes and run engine with gas connector removed untill drops dead.

Both clamps well tight is enough, bolts are if sib will live anchored at sea, more work for theft issues, just secure a line between both clamp's eyes, if you can place both looking horizontal, the better.

Happy Boating

ZIZON

Seaman

Nothing will happen, that's their factory working pressure, when manufactured are inflated at much more for 24 hrs to look for leaks.

You must rinse engine every time if boating at sea, otherwise salt will form inside engine and start to clog water passages, not good, forget about removing prop, just don't clutch forward or reverse while flushing with engine on for the thermostat to open and clean head. Use water barrel or ear mufs for at least 5 minutes and run engine with gas connector removed untill drops dead.

Both clamps well tight is enough, bolts are if sib will live anchored at sea, more work for theft issues, just secure a line between both clamp's eyes, if you can place both looking horizontal, the better.

Happy Boating

Thank you so much for your sharing these experiences,why do you run engine with gas connector removed?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Thank you so much for your sharing these experiences,why do you run engine with gas connector removed?

The carb bowl contains lots of gas, which can run an engine while flushing at idle for some minutes with removed connector, you can run/flush your engine with that amount on bowl untill it stops. if boating not frecuently, is better to consume all carb gas remains for the oil not to settle inside carb when gas evaporates. (Only on 2 strokes engines)

You need to have that sib air topped once at sea if planing to use a heavier engine, will perform much better with less tube/transom/keel flex & stress.

Happy Boating