bilge pump replacement 97 Capri

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlancoNino

Recruit
I have an 97 Capri 1954 and the bilge pump on this boat is not working. The pump is located directly under the engine and there doesnt appear to be any way to remove the old pump without pulling the engine. Does anyone have experience or advice on replacing this pump.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bilge pump replacement 97 Capri

... no experience on that model. but if its too much of pain to try and pull that one. see if you can by an aftermarket like Attwood and set it close by with a new mount. hopefully wiring and hose fitting will transfer over easily.

lwhssh

Cadet

I replaced mine. I had to mount a new one on a flat piece of aluminum. Wired and plumbed it and then slid it into place. the old pump I just abandoned in place.
Make you wonder what the designers were thinking when they made it so you would have to remove the motor to replace a $30 bilge pump.

Maybe they had 4 foot long arms.

Lwhssh

FusionFrank

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1997 Capri 1950 with a 3.0 LX engine. I am not positive I have the same bilge pump but would assume so. It is an orange pump with a black base directly under the engine. My pump was not working either and I was determined to fix it. The black base has a molded in retainer - kind of like a slit in the plastic of the base. You have to get your fingernail in the slit and pull out slightly this will release the pump from the base. You have to slightly twist and pull up on the pump as you have the slit in the base pulled out and the pump will release from the base. I initially pulled the drain hose off the outlet but I don't think it is neccesary to do that - I figured that out once I had the pump out. Once the pump was out of the base, I found a piece of plastic wire tie jammed between the base and the impeller blade, I removed the piece of wire tie cleaned the surfaces and the pump worked again. Hope this helps - for sure not an easy job - kinda have to be a contortionist. To reinstall the pump, you just have to push it back into place, that part is easy.​

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Frank,

Awesome reply, just the one that I was looking for. I have a 95 Capri cuddy 1952 3.0 Alpha 1. So many people have responded, "just add a new one and abandon the old one". What ever happened to doing a project right? Great determination and I will get mine out before spring!

Any photos of the removal/ install?

Thanks so much
Nate

Brian O

Recruit
Frank,
This is just what I was looking for. Just trimmed my nails, though, so a small flat tip screwdriver worked. Just to clarify, the "slit" is located near the top of the orange base. Took a little manipulation, but was able to get the pump out of the housing without removing the base from the hull mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.