Bilge pump questions

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hey everyone I have a few questions about bilge pumps. I have picked up two automatic bilge pumps. One for the back and one for the bow.

The reason I’m putting one upfront is because I am adding a rod locker in the bottom of my boat and I’m uncertain of what the centre of gravity will do should the rod locker become swamped or flooded, coupled with the weight of the front mount troller, pair of group 27 batteries, anchors etc. there is also considerably more flotation foam at the stern than there is upfront and I wonder if any sudden flooding might weigh the bow down.

I was going to put a pair of pumps in this boat as back up anyway, so just wondering if one up front is a good choice or if boats naturally tend to weigh down at the stern 1st? (this is a 16.5’ CMC tilt outboard equipped hull with a small gas powered kicker beside it. One house battery at the back)

Am I overthinking things?

Second question; should I wire these direct to the battery.? This boat may be in the water unattended or on monitored for a few weeks at a time. Wondering if going through a fuse block is a bad idea? I am installing automatic/manual switches to go with these. I was planning on going through a fuse block.

Thank you in advance
SSM

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... A hull that size will probably naturally sit nose up slightly, 'n so long as the water can drain to the back, it'll flow there,.....

Wired from the battery through a fuse or breaker is a solid choice,.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea.. one should be plenty for that size craft. There are recommended charts and gph related to size of pump that you can google.
Yup straight to the battery or a 3 way switch like seaflow makes. You always want the unit on in all cases. if the battery dies then thats another issue.