bilge pump problem

sparky461

Cadet
Help Please! I have a 2003 regal 1800 and not realizing I had a automatic pump I turned on the switch at the helm while we were out. The light on the switch went out so I check the fuse under the helm and it was blown. I replace it and flipped the switch, it blew right away. I replace it with a larger fuse and flipped the switch, fuse held but the pump would not go on. I cant see the pump anywhere. I followed the hose from the outlet to behind the motor then I lose it with all the blower tube and exhaust and drive. My manual says it should be under the front of the motor. I remove my back seat and reach as far as I could under the motor and nothing. HELP!

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: bilge pump problem

The fact that you have an automatic pump makes no difference to the situation as the manual switch does not impact the operation of the pump except to turn it on.

If the pump, wiring, or switch were good, the fuse would not blow, and the pump would run.

Apparently you have a shorted pump, or possibly a seized pump, or a bad wire.

As to the location of the pump, it is usually at the lowest bilge location. If you can not see it, simply means you are not looking hard enough.

Pull on the bilge pump hose, gently, and see if it is attached to anything. Perhaps the pump is just laying under the engine, lose.

The boat manufacturers tend to assemble their boats w/o regard to later repairs by installing the pumps in inaccessible locations.

Philster

Captain
Re: bilge pump problem

Or there is no pump and some exposed wiring.