Biggest gun you ever fired

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Biggest gun you ever fired

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> I used to own a Chinese assualt rifle called a SKS I believe. I forget the dimensions of the shells. Something like 3.62 x 19mm?
That was a 7.62 x 39 mm, James. A cute little effective cartridge.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The bigger ones I fired are 0.50 machine guns,dragon(shoulder fired guided anti tank missile) and rpg(recoilless propelled granade launcher).The most impressive one was a 20mm. multi barreled vulcan anti aircraft gun.We mounted them on APCs (armed personel carrier) and russian BMPs(we "borrowed" them from the syrians).Whenever a street in Beirut got "rowdy",we would quiet it down by firing the vulcans horizentally into the street using explosive anti aircraft bullets. It sure worked.The kick back was so heavy that the carriers would actually start rolling backward.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I still own my H&R single shot 10 gauge 3 1/2 magnum 36 inch full choke shotgun. You can take down teals at 60-70 yards easy,let me tell you it kill's on BOTH ends.....

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Military 106mm recoless rifle. Really a rocket launcher but they called it a rifle. Personial 50 cal. barret semi auto with muzzle brake. Not as bad as it sounds. ;) <br />Ray

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

When I was working in China, you could pay someone and they would take you to the local army base and they would let you shoot a 50 caliber. A couple of the guys did it, I missed out. :( <br /><br />I have shot a 30-06 rifle and a 357 mag.<br />Have seen a 45-70 rifle shot and a 30-30 contender single shot pistol.<br /><br />The reason I asked is I was so proud of the wife and son. She shot a 30-06 for the first time this last weekend. Dead on aim at 100 yards, and no brused shoulder. The 8 yr old son shot it too.<br /><br />Ken

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my old mossberg 12ga with an 18" slug barrel would kick like a mule with 3" magnum slugs last shot sighting it in many years ago got to close to the scope and wore it between the eyes. bled like a stuck hog and got my bell rung pretty good.

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A 45/70 Craig. 50 cal machine gun M60A3 tank with a 105 millimeter Gun/ and 175 Millimeter long tom Cannon reach out and touch someone at 27 miles.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

45/70 single action revolver. . . . :eek: <br /><br />.50 BMG sniper rifle :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Both of those at the range, when I was much younger and stupider than now.<br /><br />Biggest handgun I have owned was a .44 Mag, biggest rifle I have owned was a 45/70.<br /><br />I will stick with my .45ACP and my .243Winchester.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Biggest hand gun .44 mag, .303 rifle and I think 45/90 sharps?? Belongs to a friend of mine and it sure whoop my behind and bruise to my shoulder.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

.303 Parker Hale, 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser and my 12ga Rem 870 Express.<br />Everything else I have is .22 cal.<br />I have handled but not fired a WW2 German SMG. That one was heavy <br /><br />Peter

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br />
Originally posted by Capt. Kidd:<br /> Was lucky enough to get to pull the trigger on a 16" .50 Caliber main gun when I served on USS New Jersey (BB-62), but that is a projectile and powder load, not a cartridge.<br />
Capt. Kidd - the USS New Jersey had a very impressive history - and those guns are monsters!<br /> <br />Which years did you serve on her ?
She was a grand old lady, indeed. The USS New Jersey is now a museum in Camden New Jersey.<br /> <br /><br />I was there from 82 through 86. Re-Commisioning crew when she came out of mothballs, and served on her in Beruit.

oddjob

Commander

I have a 45/70 and a .303, but my 58cal muzz. huntsman carbine will make you miss if you decide to shoot it again..I think the key is being able to relax and absorb the blow.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

How in he heck do you shoot a 45/70 revolver without breaking your wrists?<br /><br />Ken