Bigger Boat, sum-mo stuff to know

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
With the purchase of my first cabin cruiser, I have realized that when you feel that your an experienced pilot and show no doubt on how you handle your boat. It is all tossed overboard when you move up to a larger boat. Of course the basics are still the same, But the added length, and weight takes some getting use to. The other area that I am most ignorant to is the marine radio. My previous boats were from 14 to 20 foot and I never ever thought about having one since I mostly boat on inland waterways. So now I have purchased one, have it installed, and now what? I have read the owners manual and I am a little confused on an area. Is it that if you are a commercial or use your vessel for business, you need a license. Then if you use it for pesonal use, you don't have to have a license, but only limited to use certain channels? I know I can call 1-888-call-fcc, but by the time I go to work and get home, it is too late. So does anyone know what the laws are for a pleasure craft? Thanks :D

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bigger Boat, sum-mo stuff to know

I am in same situation as SS Mayfloat, from a small boat to a 24ft cruiser. I agree with handling and boating skills, it's a different world.<br /><br />I checked out the site Seaboo suggested. THAT IS A VERY NEAT SITE ! I learned many things right now which I probably was supposed to know before I got into a larger boat. Marine calls, distress calls, requirements, Phonetical Alphabet, etc.<br /><br />I suggest everybody to take a look at the site http://www.boatsafe.com , remember knowledge is never enough...<br /><br />This site is awesome, I learned so many things regarding boating....<br /><br />Thanks guys.<br /><br />Val

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks... I was hoping someone would enjoy that site as much as I do. There is alot of good info. there. (If you look at the lo=inks it's even linked to the Coast gaurd book that you need to get a Capts. Lience.<br /><br />Martin

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Wow, that IS a great site! I bookmarked it for future reference (to peruse when there isn't a NASCAR race going on)... :) <br />But plenty of great info for the new guys,and a little something to keep everyone thinking,with one hemisphere of the brain on safety while on the water.