FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
i have a 1998 mercury 50hp 4 stroke,i was asked if it was a big foot? how do u tell and what is the differance,what is advantage if there is one,thanks
I was under the impression that a "Big Foot" used the next larger size gear case. The reason is to get the prop a little deeper for pontoons and swing a little bigger diameter prop. But, I could be wrong.
I have an '02 Merc. 60 Big Foot and the specs. indicate that the gearcase is larger along with the prop, and though I've never tried it alongside a classic 60, I can say that this engine has a lot of torque and thrust. It replaced a Johnson 60 and the difference is obvious. It should state a big foot designation on the cowl and the model # should do the same. Great engine.