Biased Media Coverage?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Biased Media Coverage?

Question: If we have all those embedded reporters with the troops in Iraq, why aren't there any embedded reporters with the National Guard down in the Gulf states?

PW2

Commander

They are embedded--- in the debris fields. That's the specific problem, I am afraid. There are no national guard, or anyone else associated with the government, anywhere to be seen.<br /><br />Perhaps it is changing now, 5 days later, but it is being reported that the help coming to Mississippi, aside from the coast guard helicopter rescue missions, are all coming from churches and the Red Cross. Not to minimize their importance, but in this day of spending billions and billions on homeland security, the official government response on this is just plain scary.

oddjob

Commander

I heard a report that many remain but have not been called on by the LA Govenor until now. I really dont the facts I admit....just listening to the radio news.<br /><br />They raised the question...and I cant say that I've seen any uniforms yet. I'm curious.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I know for a fact that 1500 Ohio Guardsmen left for the South yesterday morning, where they are now, I don' know.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Remember this is all about ratings. <br /><br />Well if that is the case they should have their JOURNALSISTIC credentials removed. Journalism is about facts not ratings. They should lose all their legal protections, and access to newsmakers.<br /><br />I have been without food for 5 days PW, send over Dan Rather. What is the point. Your earlier posts point out people have been starving in the streets for years. No 24 - 7 coverage? <br /><br />The coast guard has retrieved over 3000 people and yet no reporting of it? No uniforms? <br /><br />Wait until the guard shows up and shoots just one looter and the crap that will be reported. It will make your skin crawl. Lets just watch.........<br /><br />The press can't find even a handful of happy endings to balance the coverage? More blood please. Personally, I would just like to BALANCED reporting. Where are the floating bodies we keep hearing of? Let's see it, according to mbscott that will induce more contributions. The other end of the spectrum is we don't have any war correspondents anymore, just pretty talking heads.<br /><br />This is bias period.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the problem with the local guard units is not a shortage of manpower. the rotations overseas preclude manpower shortages. the problem is some guard units have 30% of their troop strength in the middle east but 80% of their ground support equipment is there as well. troops cant move there nor here without that equipment. its a fact not brought up much when the press asks the general or the current admin mouth piece about the readiness of the national guard forces. troops with no ground support equipment are not an effective force. gotta have air traffic control, kitchen, sanitation, ground transportation and a host of other ground support equipment to maintain a field ready force. its just not in the states under guard control now. the troops are, the supporting equipment is not. its neither here nor there its just is what it is. no one is to blame except those that are well paid and tasked to insure that readiness to homeland security from ANY threat is maintained. that is what failed. maybe they will learn but looking at history I kinda doubt it.